Schweinbraten

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a big fan of grilled pork steaks! I'm going to try this cookie sheet smoking method on a gas grill, for pork steaks, maybe beef steaks, and definitely ABT's!

Lee

Here's the recipe in John's link:

Ingredients:

1 pound boneless pork sirloin,
Cut into 1 inch steaks. about 4 oz each. This is the preferred cut.

*Use pork loin if you want to reduce calories.

Marinade
1/4 cup oil, like vegetable or olive oil.
2 large onions, cut into thin rings
4 cloves garlic, crushed ( optional)

Spice Mixture

1 tablespoon German mustard
1 Teaspoon each of
Thyme
Oregano
Curry
Paprika
Cayenne Pepper
Black Pepper

1 can dark beer ( for basting)

Cut the Pork Roast into 1 inch thick slices.
Slice and mash the onions a bit to release their wonderful flavor
Assemble all the ingredients for the marinade - if you desire some garlic go ahead and smash some and add to the onions. Mix the all the marinade and spice ingredients together in a bowl.
Put half of the onions on the bottom of the glass dish and then place the steaks on top. Push the steaks into the onions. so it makes good contact.
Now put the other onions on top and push them into the meat.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.

You can use a standard BBQ grill and use soaked wood chips.

Put the soaked wood chips on an old cookie sheet, and place right underneath the grates.
It will quickly start to smoke. The temperature here is significantly lower due to the cookie sheet and wood. So I will cover the BBQ and let it smoke for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Put the onions in an piece of aluminum foil, open, folded up on all sides, making a boat.
The onions will saute nicely on the foil and pick up some of the smoke flavor.
After I get a good smoke I remove the sheet pan and sear the steaksThe on high. The onions are cooking nicely.
When using pork loin steaks remember they dry out easy and get tough.
They can be a bit pink and be fine. They do not have to be well done anymore, according to the USDA.
If your steaks are very thick, baste the meat with dark beer from time to time to keep the meat moist. .
I put the pork steak on a french roll, and top with onions.
Some folks like German mustard or mayonnaise.
I like to slice the schwenkbraten, it is easier to eat this way

Johnny West

Thank you, Lee. I get the pork sirloin steaks that are cut in serving portions, prick with a meat fork so the olive oil and garlic get a chance to permeate the meat, then grill over the coals. One has to be careful as the olive oil burns like crazy.