Sardinella chilli curry

LastManStanding

My aunt cooked this curry a week or so ago. A lot of ground chilli pepper but it was tasty. Also they overcook it but it's meant to be like that.

sardinella curry.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What all do you have in there, LastMan? Is that some kind of fish?

Lee

Johnny West

Sardines. I love them canned but never had an opportunity for fresh. I understand they are a small herring.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sardines. I love them canned but never had an opportunity for fresh. I understand they are a small herring.

John, I wish you were here to share a can with my father. He loves them, but can't find anyone to join him. Saltines and mayo.

Lee

Johnny West

John, I wish you were here to share a can with my father. He loves them, but can't find anyone to join him. Saltines and mayo.

Lee
I would consider it an honor to knock down a couple of tins of sardines with him. I love them with mustard or oil; the hot sauce, not so much. Now I know what lunch will be.

LastManStanding

@QSis it's fish. Sardinella
@Johnny West I think sardinella and sardines are similar but two different kinds. Not sure though. This one in the photo is called by several names here in Sri Lanka. Sudaya (pronounced soo.da.yah) is the most common.
Sardines come here canned but not always.
Another funny story about fish, in Sri Lanka a canned fish container is called a "salmon tin" where they actually contain mackerels. The reason is, long ago it was actually salmon that came in cans. That was aroun 50 years ago. And then the price factor changed the fish but still people didn't let the name go. They also call it "sardine tin" too. But the cans contain mackerel only.