Roasted Pork Belly (uncured)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pork belly seems to be popping up on menus around here lately, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Got some thick fresh chunks at the Asian supermarket, and used a very simple recipe found on YouTube.

It tasted like roasted pork shoulder, with crispy crackling skin. Easy, good.

Next time I'm going to try the cured pork belly (bacon).

Top of Form

Crispy Pork Belly - Ulam Pinoy #1

Pork belly
3 cloves garlic
3 bay leaves
water
salt

Preheat oven to 355 degrees.

Place pork belly in a pan. Add garlic and bay leaves. Add water just to cover. Bring water to boil and boil for 5 minutes.

Drain, rinse with cold water, wipe dry. Score skin and fat.

Salt generously. Season with other seasonings you like (I use Adobo and black pepper).

Place pork belly on a rack over a foil-lined pan. Roast for 90 minutes at 350.

Turn up heat to 450 degrees for another 15 minutes.

Lee

In the package

Pork belly 1 - raw.JPG

Out of the package

Pork belly 2 - out of package.JPG

Boiled, scored, skewered on a rack over a foiled pan

Pork belly 3 - boiled, seasoned.JPG

Out of the oven

Pork belly 4 - cooked, strip.JPG

Plated

Pork belly 5 - plated.JPG
Pork belly 1 - raw.JPG
Pork belly 2 - out of package.JPG
Pork belly 3 - boiled, seasoned.JPG
Pork belly 4 - cooked, strip.JPG
Pork belly 5 - plated.JPG

Last edited:

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Hell yes, one of the finest ways to eat pork, ever. I could live(and die)off those cracklins/chicharones.

Did you use anything in the liquid for boiling? That is typically something I haven't seen done, but it makes sense in theory, and may help the end result be not as greasy(a turn off to some).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Jono, I just used the 3 cloves of garlic and the 3 bay leaves in the boiling water.

It wasn't greasy at ALL! In fact, I thought it was kinda dry, so next time, I might only go an hour at 350.

Lee

Squirrel

Mess Cook
Site Supporter
Very nice looking pork belly. I've not seen it like that before, at least that thick. There are a lot of great recipes out there too. I love to make my own bacon, but can only do that in the winter in order to cold smoke it.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:applause:Woo hoo, you hit that one out of the ballpark! It looks very meaty. I expected it to have more fat running through it. And the crackling :thumb:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd post a picture of the braised pork belly appetizer I had at Bagatelle's restaurant in Key West this past weekend.

It was tender and tasty, but I didn't care for the anise flavor that was in the sauce.

Still interested in experimenting with this infrequent treat!

Lee

Attachments

• 25 Pork Belly at Bagatelle's.JPG
    25 Pork Belly at Bagatelle's.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,330

Shermie

Site Supporter
Pork belly seems to be popping up on menus around here lately, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Got some thick fresh chunks at the Asian supermarket, and used a very simple recipe found on YouTube.

It tasted like roasted pork shoulder, with crispy crackling skin. Easy, good.

Next time I'm going to try the cured pork belly (bacon).

Top of Form

Crispy Pork Belly - Ulam Pinoy #1

Pork belly
3 cloves garlic
3 bay leaves
water
salt

Preheat oven to 355 degrees.

Place pork belly in a pan. Add garlic and bay leaves. Add water just to cover. Bring water to boil and boil for 5 minutes.

Drain, rinse with cold water, wipe dry. Score skin and fat.

Salt generously. Season with other seasonings you like (I use Adobo and black pepper).

Place pork belly on a rack over a foil-lined pan. Roast for 90 minutes at 350.

Turn up heat to 450 degrees for another 15 minutes.

Lee

In the package

View attachment 16021

Out of the package

View attachment 16022

Boiled, scored, skewered on a rack over a foiled pan

View attachment 16023

Out of the oven

View attachment 16024

Plated

View attachment 16025

Dag, that looks GOOD!!

I should try doing that soon!!:cooking:

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Never had it before. The belly was always stripped of the fat for lard and then we sliced up the meat for frying meat to throw in the skillet while we cut the rest up. It is wonderful pan fried in nice strips. That would hold us till the first sausage was ground. Dang, I miss butchering.

Ironman

🍺
Never had it before. The belly was always stripped of the fat for lard and then we sliced up the meat for frying meat to throw in the skillet while we cut the rest up. It is wonderful pan fried in nice strips. That would hold us till the first sausage was ground. Dang, I miss butchering.

Happy to see a post pop up from you Bill. ?I miss you my old friend. ?

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I make porchetta with pork tenderloin or loin wrapped with the belly. The way I make it for Momofuku's sandwiches is on here somewhere, as well as another member who makes it similarly. I'll look for it once I get on the laptop. Just got up abd am on tablet now and not really awake yet. We've also made bacon before. Craig has some going now with about 1/3 of the slab we bought.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
His post was from 2013.

I looked at the thread too since Lee bumped it.
Mountain man was a much loved member of this and Doc's other forums.
He passed away a few years back.
Some of us even met him in person.
To read his words did indeed bring a tear to my eye as well.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Here is the thread that I mentioned. It has links to 2 different ways to make Momofuku's cured pork belly. I've made the link I posted at Food 52 several times (oven roasted) and we really like it, but think I am going to try the braised recipe that Squirrel posted with the next.

I've also made this honey glazed pork belly. The flavor was really good, but the pork was overcooked, so I'd either cut down on time or more likely not cut it into such thin strips if I make again.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Lee that looks so good.
I am going to D Mart and H mart tomorrow (if pain is down). I will look for the pork belly. I love crispy pork skin.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Here is the thread that I mentioned. It has links to 2 different ways to make Momofuku's cured pork belly. I've made the link I posted at Food 52 several times (oven roasted) and we really like it, but think I am going to try the braised recipe that Squirrel posted with the next.

I've also made this honey glazed pork belly. The flavor was really good, but the pork was overcooked, so I'd either cut down on time or more likely not cut it into such thin strips if I make again.

These sound good. Thank you.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I like the sound of the oven-roasted recipe, med.

Thanks!

Lee