Retractable Hoods

Mr. Green Jeans

When we did the counter top renovation to our kitchen, the coice for a retractable down draft vent unit was Kitchenaide. 30 days after the install, the unit failed (Christmas Eve to be exact). We spent weeks going round and round with their warranty people. The exasperating part is that I was present while a factory authorized service person was looking at the unit for the second time and the tech rep that deals with service people says the unit is not repairable BUT you have to take it up with warranty.
To make a 2 month saga short, we now have a Bosch unit thanks to the Lowes people who covered our back.
I am from western Ohio where a number of people I have known work for Kitchenaid hench the loaylty, until now.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I have a Kenmore. I don't know who made it, but bought at Sears Outlet. So far so good.

Lowes has been good to me as far as service above and beyond.

AllenOK

Retractable hood?

<PERK!>

This house has an exhaust vent, but since there's a microwave over the stove, no "hood". How do these work, and how much do they cost? Does anyone have a picture?

Leni

Yeah! Me too? Nee one of those over my stove. I have nothing there as of the moment.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Here's mine. They are a downdraft hood. Mine came from the Sears Outlet, and, if I remember, it ran around $600 (plus installation)

It pushes a lot of air.

Attachments

• hood up.jpg
    hood up.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 406, 407 406.JPG
    406, 407 406.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 133

Guts

The kitchens I have done with retractable ventilation systems have all used a remote Blower. Absolutely no noise with the exception of the wind going inside of the ventilation opening. The remote blower is a very powerful unit and we used 10 inch round ducting with this type of installation. Green jeans. I think you will be happy with the Bosch. They also make great dishwashers.

Mr. Green Jeans

Our kitchen is similar to Jim's with the range top in an island. The Bosch unit we had installed has the blower mounted in the cabinet. External would be real nice but the noise is minimal, mostly the air moving.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Mine is an all in one unit which drops into the cabinet. It is not too noisy, mostly air noise, but it moves a lot of air. It is a two speed unit.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
One other note on installation. This unit replaced a built in Jennair all in one range top. The Jennair worked well with a 5 inch duct system. I replaced with a 6 inch system. The 5 was too small. I've got about a 20 ft run.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
We just put one in at our desert house. Have not used it yet. It is a Dacor. I bought it locally and the salesman told me none of them work that well. Will use the Viking barbecue for anything big!