Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This is not a TNT and true recipe......yet :wub:

Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake (The Pastry Queen by Rebecca Rather)
Ginger Crust:

• 2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (about 40 cookies)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Pumpkin Filling:

• 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pure pumpkin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Praline Topping:

• 1 cup pecans
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
To make the crust: Line the bottom of a 9 or 10-inch springform pan with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter, crushed gingersnaps, sugar, and cinnamon. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.

Preheat the oven to 375° F.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and beat for another minute until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for about 1 minute after each addition. Add the vanilla, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger; beat for another minute or two until incorporated.

Pour into the crust. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes. Turn the oven down to 250 degrees F (don't remove the cheesecake from the oven). Continue baking for another 50 minutes.

Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Remove the cheesecake from the springform pan and place it on a large serving plate.

For the praline topping: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange the pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast them for 7-9 minutes, until golden brown. Coarsely chop the nuts. Stir together the brown sugar, cream, and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Boil the mixture for about 1 1/2 minutes, adjusting the heat to make sure it does not boil over. Do not stir. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, and pecans. Cool the topping for at least 15 minutes before pouring over the top of the chilled cheesecake. Serve now or cover and chill until ready to serve. The cheesecake will keep, well wrapped in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.

The Pastry Case Blog

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, the HUMANITY!!!!

Mama, I love pumpkins, and everything about them. Every October, I look for a new pumpkin recipe to make.

You have just given this year's to me!

Thank you!

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I made this twice. A few changes the first time, then a few more the second time. It was declared 'perfect' by 24 dozen people. I will definitely make it again.

Thanks, Mama.

My changes are in Green.

Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake

Ingredients

Crust
2 cups crushed gingersnaps, about 36 cookies
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup melted butter

Filling
24 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 Tbsp bourbon
3 eggs
1 can pumpkin, 15 oz.
1 tsp vanilla

Topping
1 cup pecans
1/3 cup light brown sugar
½ cup heavy cream
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp butter
1 tsp vanilla

Oven Temperature: 325°F to start

Procedure

Crust

1. Line the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with parchment. Do NOT grease the sides of the pan.

2. Preheat oven to 325°.

3. In the food processor, combine the gingersnaps, sugar & cinnamon. Process until it's in very fine, even crumbs.

4. With the processor running, add the melted butter.

5. Dump the mixture into the prepared pan, and use a measuring cup to press it evenly over the bottom. Let the crumbs come up the sides of the pan for about an inch.

6. Put in the oven for 5-7 minutes, just until set. Set aside to cool while making filling.

7. Before filling, set pan on 2 sheets of aluminum foil, and wrap the foil tightly up the sides to prevent water from seeping in.

Filling

1. Using the mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar and cheese until smooth & fluffy.

2. Beat in the flour, cinnamon, ginger & nutmeg.

3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.

4. Add the bourbon, vanilla & pumpkin. Mix until smooth.

5. Pour into crust. It should fill the pan about ½ inch higher than the crust.

6. Tap the pan on the counter to raise any large air bubbles. Run a knife through the mixture if necessary to break the bubbles.

7. In a large roasting pan, place a silicone hot pad, then put the filled cake pan on top. Pour boiling water around the sides until it comes halfway up the sides of the springform pan.

8. Carefully set the entire set-up on a low rack in the oven, and bake at 325 for about 45 minutes. Check periodically to ensure that the water is not actually boiling. If it is, turn the heat down to 300°.

9. Reduce heat to 300° and continue baking another 45 minutes, or until done. Cake is done when it just slightly jiggles in the center when nudged.

10. Remove the entire set up from the oven and allow to cool in the water bath for about 30 minutes.

11. Remove the cake pan from the water and cool on a rack until the edges start pulling away from the sides of the pan. Then remove the ring and allow to finish cooling.

12. Refrigerate for several hours until cold.

Topping

1. Heat oven to 350°

2. Spread pecans on a baking sheet, and roast for 7 minutes, or until fragrant.

3. Coarsely chop the roasted pecans.

4. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, cream, butter & salt.

5. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil for 1½ minutes, without stirring.

6. Remove from heat and add the vanilla & pecans.

7. Let the topping cool to room temperature before pouring over the top of the chilled cake.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 5,202
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,358

Shermie

Site Supporter
This will be my next project for the holidays!

And it uses canned pumpkin as well?

Boy!! My work should be easy!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That just looks absolutely sinful SS. Thanks for sharing your changes to the recipe! I haven't gotten around to making it yet but when I do, I think I'll be trying it your way!