Pulled Pork with Dr Pepper Base & bbq sauce

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Waiting, tapping foot and wondering why the pulling of pork is so important lol

As we wait, may I say this-
We have an annual Fall Fest, street fair.
There is this dude who ALWAYS has his pulled pork sandwich stand there.
My mother asked me to run uptown and get her one and bring it back to her condo.
She demanded I have one too.
I did.
It was awesome.. smoked pulled pork on a kaiser roll, topped with an awesome BBQ sauce, a few pickles..
So ya see folks, Sass DOES fall off the wagon occasionally, but not often. ;)

In the end, it’s really about know-how and technique. Respect in other words.

You can cook a pork roast to 160 and it is done, then you can man handle it and slice and chop the shit out of it, and you’ll have a plate of small pork pieces that make a good sammie. That ain’t pulled pork. There is no “badge” for that.

Now, if you run your cooker the designated length of time, the way that “it” has been done for hundreds of years and you join that sacred brethren by getting your meat to the 195 – 205 shred area….the area where it is pull by hand, and juicy, and no knife is required, that is a badge, a gift, and an honor.

My hardcore initiation was a brisket…..12 hours on the smoke, then judges on the slice.

It’s about the ranks and honor.

But really, ANYBODY can gook the meat and chop it.

It’s the few, the proud, the Smokers that can do it low and slow with no knife required.

I don’t expect everyone to understand. But once you go down that smokey road, you’ll know. It’s a test, and it’s a labor…..but it is a labor of love. It’s like solving a rubix cube. When you get it right, BOOM…..something changes!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
LOL sass, you actually eat meat? :shock:

519635886_tLvhj-L.jpg

519635861_TArGP-L.jpg

519635914_j3CW3-L.jpg

By the way gang, That's a medium size bowl although the pictures doesn't look like it.

Not bad at all.

Take a pic of the bone please.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

You can cook a pork roast to 160 and it is done, then you can man handle it and slice and chop the shit out of it, and you’ll have a plate of small pork pieces that make a good sammie. That ain’t pulled pork. There is no “badge” for that.

Now, if you run your cooker the designated length of time, the way that “it” has been done for hundreds of years and you join that sacred brethren by getting your meat to the 195 – 205 shred area….the area where it is pull by hand, and juicy, and no knife is required, that is a badge, a gift, and an honor.

My hardcore initiation was a brisket…..12 hors on the smoke, then judges on the slice.

It’s the few, the proud, the Smokers that can do it low and slow with no knife required.

I don’t expect everyone to understand. But once you go don that smokey road, you’ll know. It’s a test, and it’s a labor…..but it is a labor of love. It’s like solving a rubix cube. When you get it right, BOOM…..something changes!

:applause::applause::applause: Don't we have some sort of award we can give Keltin?

Derek

Banned

My hardcore initiation was a brisket…..12 hors on the smoke, then judges on the slice.

I don’t expect everyone to understand. But once you go don that smokey road, you’ll know. It’s a test, and it’s a labor…..but it is a labor of love. It’s like solving a rubix cube. When you get it right, BOOM…..something changes!
Like you said bro, you don't need a knife, I followed what you said in the other thread, and It fell OFF the bone was so dan soft I ate it all up. The bone tasted awesome. the bone pulled apart as well.

The meat is VERY juicy and the aujo sauce is freaking awesome, I saved it and I'll put it in the freezer when the sauce cools down.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter

My hardcore initiation was a brisket…..12 hours on the smoke, then judges on the slice.

I don’t expect everyone to understand. But once you go down that smokey road, you’ll know. It’s a test, and it’s a labor…..but it is a labor of love. It’s like solving a rubix cube. When you get it right, BOOM…..something changes!
When I used to make a pork roast and wanted to make sandwiches out of it Keltin, it was like a LARGE one, at 325-350 degrees or so.. for about 3-4 hrs, I was lucky if it pulled correctly off the bone (if there was a bone).. but as I recall most times it wasn't all that tender as I'd wanted it to be. lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I can't it's in my tummy, LOL.

WTF?

I've smoked hundreds of pounds of pork butts with bone. Even did them in high vinegar in the pressure cooker. The vinegar is QUICK to break down meat and bone, but never, and I mean never, even after a 12 hour cook, has a bone ever been soft enough to eat, let alone palatable

The bone survives, always.

That's a link, check my pics there.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
When I used to make a pork roast and wanted to make sandwiches out of it Keltin, it was like a LARGE one, at 325-350 degrees or so.. for about 3-4 hrs, I was lucky if it pulled correctly off the bone (if there was a bone).. but as I recall most times it wasn't all that tender as I'd wanted it to be. lol

That's what we call slice and chop. It CAN make good sammies.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
That's what we call slice and chop. It CAN make good sammies.

So what do you do to make it tender enough to just pull it and use it for sandwiches and such?

Mine always came out too something to actually bite into for sandwiches.

They were ok, but not tender.. that's the word I am looking for.

Derek

Banned
So what do you do to make it tender enough to just pull it and use it for sandwiches and such?

from what my mom say's and from what Kelt saying, 3-4 hours is short even for a big roast!

But as long as you liked it who cares?

By the way here's the bone. I guess I ate part of it but not all of it.

519654571_7f6GM-L.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

It's simple as hell really. Just cook it covered till internal temp reaches 195 to 205. At that point, collagen and fat render to make it juicy again for lost water. It is a simple recipe. But it takes time and care. Easier in the oven than the outdoor smoker. But outdoor gives you smoke flavor.

Good pulled pork is about time. It's about knowing your cooking environment (don't get too dry) and watching the temp (via meat thermometer) of your meat through the plateaus to the destination. Hit the magic number, and she shreds. It's that simple.....in a nut-shell. Staying juicy can involve fat caps, mops, rotations, foil, etc.

Derek

Banned
Was it tough and rubbery?
Nope it was soft and brown and it was meat, I think it was just flavored with my bbq sauce, and that's that!

It's simple as hell really. Just cook it covered till internal temp reaches 195 to 205. At that point, collagen and fat render to make it juicy again for lost water. It is a simple recipe. But it takes time and care. Easier in the oven than the outdoor smoker. But outdoor gives you smoke flavor.

Good pulled pork is about time. It's about knowing your cooking environment (don't get too dry) and watching the temp (via meat thermometer) of your meat through the plateaus to the destination. Hit the magic number, and she shreds. It's that simple.....in a nut-shell. Staying juicy can involve fat caps, mops, rotations, foil, etc.
Check the bone photo, I'm not sure why you wanted the photo, LOL.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter

I think I understand now.
Thanks Keltin.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Check the bone photo, I'm not sure why you wanted the photo, LOL.

Your pics show the shoulder blade bone. T shaped.
2sabjx0.jpg

After a 6 hour cook with vinegar, the bone stays in tact. This is what THAT bone looks like when you pull it out.

f23m37.jpg

My dogs chew on that for TWO days!

Derek

Banned
Your pics show the shoulder blade bone. T shaped.
2sabjx0.jpg

After a 6 hour cook with vinegar, the bone stays in tact. This is what THAT bone looks like when you pull it out.

f23m37.jpg

My dogs chew on that for TWO days!
Ok Thanks, Kelt.

I wish I had a dog to give a bone too.