Derek

Banned
519269878_boxAp-L.jpg

519270187_TgMzK-L.jpg

519270642_bjEA8-L.jpg

519271244_VTzyF-L.jpg

519271820_WwEJ7-L.jpg

519272354_bEKao-L.jpg

I will post another photo at 6:30 when I go ahead and put the bbq sauce, That's 4 hours from now.

Derek

Banned
Thanks Robsan, I can't either I'm taking it to my folks house and we're going to have pulled pork sandwiches and onion rings.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Did you check internal temp to see how much longer you need to go? If so, what did it read?

Derek

Banned
Did you check internal temp to see how much longer you need to go? If so, what did it read?
Nope I didn't I didn't have a thermo unit to measure the temp.

I'm doing it the way my mom said to do and I know it will be cooked.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Cool. But with a pork roast, internal temp makes all the differnce between sliced roast and pulled pork.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Any suggestions until I can get a thermometer?

Maybe cut the meat and see in about 2 hours?

grab 2 forks... if the meat will separate easily with them then its ready... if it doesnt then it can be slice or put back into oven and cooked longer

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Any suggestions until I can get a thermometer?

Maybe cut the meat and see in about 2 hours?

Not really.

Pulling it out every couple hours to hack on it is counterproductive. The meat and oven loose heat, cuts let out juices that need to rest, and a cut isn’t indicative of what is happening near the bone of that roast.

Just cook it the way your Mom said, and if you have to slice it, then slice it thin. Once sliced, then chop the slices. Chopped pork is nearly as good as shredded, and it will make good sandwiches.

But put a thermometer on your list. They’re cheap and must haves.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
grab 2 forks... if the meat will separate easily with them then its ready... if it doesnt then it can be slice or put back into oven and cooked longer

Oh, oh.....I have to disagree!!!! :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

Just kidding! :thumb:

Derek

Banned
Thank you Guys, I really couldn't have done it with out.

Hey I have this one thermometer that's very accurate and it uses a lazer beam to messure temp, Can I use that one?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Oh, oh.....I have to disagree!!!! :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

Just kidding! :thumb:

LMAO:yum::yum::yum:

he did put slits in his roast and put garlic in them... if he can find one of those slits, put a knife or fork there, if it pulls then it is done.... you can buy a cheap thermometer at dollartree... they do in a pinch.

i would lay money on that roast being at its plateau stage..lol

oh i have just opened up a can of worms..lmao

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Guys, I really couldn't have done it with out.

Hey I have this one thermometer that's very accurate and it uses a lazer beam to messure temp, Can I use that one?

No. Lasers only measure surface temp and aren't indicative of what is going in deep in the meat near the bone.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

He's 4 hours in, and its a smallish roast, so I'd say it's plateauing too.

WAIT.....CRAP.....I'm supposed to DISagree. Dammit, you tricked me! :pat:

Derek

Banned
LMAO:yum::yum::yum:

he did put slits in his roast and put garlic in them... if he can find one of those slits, put a knife or fork there, if it pulls then it is done.... you can buy a cheap thermometer at dollartree... they do in a pinch.

Plateau Stage?

No. Lasers only measure surface temp and aren't indicative of what is going in deep in the meat near the bone.
Your right, Don't why I purchased it, It was a long tie ago and I rather forget that part of my life.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
http://www.pine3.info/Barbecue%20101%20Part%20III.htm

At around 140° collagen starts to shrink, squeezing out more water and making the meat firmer, drier, and tougher. By now enzymes are destroyed and pigment molecules, such as red myoglobin, are denatured. From about 140° to 150°, so much moisture is squeezed out that cooking progress can actually stop as most of the heat energy is being used to evaporate water. This is known as the first plateau or stall. Tender cuts are now dry, tough, grey and pretty much ruined. Tough cuts are inedible. These moisture losses are inevitable: Boil, foil or steam a tender cut to well done and it will be just as dry and tough as it would be if roasted in an oven or over an open fire.

The true art of meat cookery in general and barbecue in particular is dependent upon how these inevitable changes are managed and manipulated.

For example, when cooking a roast to “rare” (130° at the center) at barbecue temperatures (250° +/- 25°), meat heats slowly and uniformly as the surface remains moist and therefore below the boiling point of water. This method results in rare meat from the center almost to the surface.

Tough cuts are taken through the first plateau and then on to the second plateau (or stall), when connective tissue starts to dissolve and fat renders. Collagen is the primary component of connective tissue and begins to break down into water and gelatin at about 160°. Greek for “glue producing”, collagen is also a major constituent of hides and hoofs, which are rendered into glue and commercial gelatin, and it makes meat stocks gel when chilled. Once collagen starts to melt, much of the cooking energy is used to drive the conversion process, thereby slowing the cooking rate again. This is when “Pit Masters” (artists) are separated from “pit cooks” (practitioners) and when moisture management becomes critical. Artists will use the stall to allow time for collagen to melt slowly and for flavorful “browning” reactions to occur as the surface dries. They may even reduce the pit temperature somewhat, or baste, thereby slowing the cooking rate by additional evaporation. Practitioners, on the other hand, will try to push through the stall: They may increase pit temperature or employ the “Texas Crutch” – aluminum foil. Both approaches speed the process at the expense of the final product. Since there is little moisture left on the surface, high pit temperatures dry the meat and, going beyond “browning”, can actually char the surface. Foil definitely speeds up the process as it prevents evaporative cooling and essentially steams the meat, but from a flavor and texture perspective, foiling is only a little better than boiling.

Once meat breaks out of the second stall at about 180°, things happen fairly fast and you need to pay attention. Start checking for the proper stage of tenderness. A fork should easily penetrate briskets and pull out without the meat trying to follow. Slabs of ribs become flexible, the surface cracks when bent and it gets a sheen from rendered fat. It should be removed from the pits before it reaches 200°. Beyond this point the structure breaks down, steam pockets form and meat gets mushy. Properly cooked, without taking any shortcuts, the meat will have shrunk considerably and lost about half of its original weight because of moisture and fat losses. If done right, It will have entered the mystical realm of barbecue nirvana. This is why the real thing is expensive and hard to find.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Waiting, tapping foot and wondering why the pulling of pork is so important lol

As we wait, may I say this-
We have an annual Fall Fest, street fair.
There is this dude who ALWAYS has his pulled pork sandwich stand there.
My mother asked me to run uptown and get her one and bring it back to her condo.
She demanded I have one too.
I did.
It was awesome.. smoked pulled pork on a kaiser roll, topped with an awesome BBQ sauce, a few pickles..
So ya see folks, Sass DOES fall off the wagon occasionally, but not often. ;)

Derek

Banned
LOL sass, you actually eat meat? :shock:

519635886_tLvhj-L.jpg

519635861_TArGP-L.jpg

519635914_j3CW3-L.jpg

By the way gang, That's a medium size bowl although the pictures doesn't look like it.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
LOL sass, you actually eat meat? :shock:

By the way gang, That's a medium size bowl although the pictures doesn't look like it.

Not often, but when asked by my Mother I do.
She wants me to at Thanksgiving and Christmas (turkey) and I do.

That looks good Derek.

Derek

Banned
Not often, but when asked by my Mother I do.
She wants me to at Thanksgiving and Christmas (turkey) and I do.

That looks good Derek.
Nice, You may have to come down to Mi and I'll make you some!

By the way The bowl is also very deep, just an fyi