Pickle-brined turkey breast

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm putting this in the poultry forum instead of Outdoor Cooking because I'm sure it would be excellent for roasted turkey, too.

A bbq acquaintance, Jim Slotterback, posted on Facebook about pickle brining whole turkey and I was intrigued. I make a dozen pickled eggs for my father every other month, but never have enough pickle juice. Jim said he buys gallon jugs of pickle juice on Amazon, so I did that, solving two problems.

I put the turkey breast meat side down in a pot that just fit in my fridge and covered most of it with the pickle juice. Left it in the fridge overnight for about 12 hours. When I took the breast out, I saw that the juice had not reached the section of breast that had been sitting on the bottom of the pot. Will have to figure out a better way next time.

I patted the breast dry, sprinkled it all over with a rub (McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning), sprayed with Pam, and put it on the smoker at 250 degrees until the meat reached 165 degrees internal. About 2 hours, no wood.

After resting, I cut the meat from the bones and chopped up some samples to give to a couple of neighbors sitting in my yard. LOVED it! The very best smoked turkey I've ever made! Does not taste pickle-y, just moist without being dripping wet.

I will definitely try this again, both in the smoker and in my oven!

Lee

Turkey in pot.JPG

Turkey brined.JPG

Turkey cooked.JPG

Turkey cut.JPG

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Looks good Lee.

I would remove the backbone and split the breast into two bone-in breasts. Then brine them, turning halfway through the soaking. JMHO

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks GREAT. Will have to try this. Thanks Lee!!!! :tiphat:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
From what I understand, Chick-Fil-A marinates their chicken for their chicken sandwiches in pickle juice. I love those sandwiches. I'd rather have a Chick-Fil-A sandwich than a hamburger.

I might have to try this in the oven. Great post, Q-Sis!