Picking wild mushrooms

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, another clue in identifying fungi is taking a spore print to see what color the print is.

Here are some ways to make spore prints:​

Mushrooms with gills: The spores lie on the gill surface. Cut off the stem and place the cap, with the gills facing down, on a piece of aluminum foil, a white piece of paper, an index card or a glass microscope slide. Put a drop of water on the top of the cap to help release the spores. Cover the cap with a paper cup or glass and leave for 2-24 hours, depending on the humidity and the freshness of the mushroom. The spores will fall on the paper, foil or glass, making a spore print pattern.

spore print.jpg

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First decent haul of the season! My usual paths have been yielding a big fat zero. I took another path today and found a couple of nice clumps of Boletus Frostii (the bright red ones) that I used to NOT pick until I learned not to fear them. The others are bi-color boletes.

Lee

Frostii in the wild (slug in the bottom of the photo)

Shroom in the wild.jpg

First decent haul

Shroom haul.jpg

Cleaned and ready for the dehydrator

shroom sliced.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not much in the woods today except for a luscious young chicken of the woods. I took half.

Sauteed it up with shallots and butter and will add some to my scrambled eggs for breakfasts. Delicious!

Lee

Chick of woods.jpg