pastrami from corned beef

Guts

I purchased two pieces (one flat cut one point cut 5.41 LB and 3.59 LB) of corned beef when they were on sale for St. Patrick's Day. In used this recipe at this link to season them after soaking them for three hours and changing the water every 30 minutes. I used cold water and added ice to the water to keep the corned beef cold. To my surprise there was not much shrinkage when I smoked them for approximately 3 1/2 hours at 225° until internal temperature was 155°... I was quite surprised at the flavor did taste quite like pastrami that you would purchase in the store. I suppose it's not technically pastrami but I would do this again and watch my internal temperature does not go over 155° mine went a little over and could have been taken out a little earlier. If you've never done this with a smoker and you have access to one I would recommend giving it a try.

here's the link that I got the recipe for the rub I used on the corned beef.

http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001394.html

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 267
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 263
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 263

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
HOLY COW!! Those are SALE prices? WOW!! The corned beef was on sale here for $1.88/lb.

That is BEAUTIFUL pastrami !! I have seeded rye and wish I had some of that to put on it.

Guts

Thanks peeps a pastrami on rye would have went well with your salad. (even though it's not technically pastrami)
I really enjoy this daily thread on everyone's meals gives me ideas most of the time, and makes me drool LOL

peeps I paid $.99 a pound for the corned beef. It was on a two-day sale that they had two of which really made it a four-day sale but on the second sale. They only had the point cut for $.99 a pound

Last edited:

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Thanks peeps a pastrami on rye would have went well with your salad. (even though it's not technically pastrami)
I really enjoy this daily thread on everyone's meals gives me ideas most of the time, and makes me drool LOL

peeps I paid $.99 a pound for the corned beef. It was on a two-day sale that they had two of which really made it a four-day sale but on the second sale. They only had the point cut for $.99 a pound
(even though it's not technically pastrami)

I've always thought that that is what pastrami is. Smoked corned beef.

Guts

(even though it's not technically pastrami)

I've always thought that that is what pastrami is. Smoked corned beef.

I guess what I was trying to say, it was quick pastrami because the corned beef was already brined. The pastrami can also be made out of eye of round which is my favorite. I think the term corned beef indicates boiled beef and pastrami is smoked. That's kind of my interpretation, so I probably should say quick pastrami. There's also this link that goes kind of hand-in-hand with the last link I posted. I'm not sure if the burning process for corned beef is exactly the same as pastrami probably different variations for each. So please excuse me if I said it was not technically pastrami. I guess in a way it is. I should have said quick pastrami for cheap quick pastrami. I did two of these for nine dollars and probably two dollars worth this season fairly inexpensive for 9 pounds of quick pastrami.

http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001462.html

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
The recipe in the link is along the lines of what I do. Corned beef is pretty simple to make, but requires some refrigerator space and patience. The home refrigerator cured corned beef is vastly superior to the store bought, mostly because commercial corned beef is pumped full of brine and then cured in a wet bath. I have rubbed and smoked my home made to make pastrami..

I would question the definition of corned beef to include cooking (boiling). How, or whether, it is cooked should not change the name.

Guts

I would question the definition of corned beef to include cooking (boiling). How, or whether, it is cooked should not change the name.

point well made, I was just taking from what I read from those links I posted.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Excellent job, Guts!!!

I smoked a gray corned beef flat (traditional Boston Irish) and a red corned beef point yesterday.

We used slices from the gray flat to make reuben paninis (my friend made a couple of loaves of seeded rye).

I deli-sliced the chilled red point to steam piles for pastrami sandwiches.

Lee

Attachments

• 8 Smoked reuben panini.JPG
    8 Smoked reuben panini.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 8 Smoked red corned beef point.JPG
    8 Smoked red corned beef point.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 7 Sliced smoked gray corned beef flat.JPG
    7 Sliced smoked gray corned beef flat.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 6 Corned beef flat and point, smoked.JPG
    6 Corned beef flat and point, smoked.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 2 Point and flat corned beefs, raw.JPG
    2 Point and flat corned beefs, raw.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 1 Rye breads, Jan's.JPG
    1 Rye breads, Jan's.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 220

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
looks tasty whatever someone calls it...

pastrami is just corned beef that has been brined,rubbed with spices then smoked. Traditional pastrami is dried a bit before it is smoked,beef navels were used to make pastrami but now more common is brisket.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I smoked another store-bought corned beef point yesterday, after soaking it for 2 1/2 hours, changing the water every half hour.

I slathered it with French's mustard, then for a rub, I used the seasoning packet that came with it, adding more peppercorns and coriander, and grinding it up.

Smoked using charcoal and hickory, at 275 - 300, for several hours, to an internal temp of 170, then let it rest in foil for an hour before chilling.

Will slice it on my deli slicer for sandwiches on St. Pat's Day.

I like fatty pastrami, so I always smoke corned beef points, but I guess I had this one on long enough for most of the fat to have rendered out - looks pretty lean!

Lee

Attachments

• Pastrami 1, mustard and rub.JPG
    Pastrami 1, mustard and rub.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Pastrami 2, ready to chill.JPG
    Pastrami 2, ready to chill.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 187

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
attachment.php

That looks so gorgeous that it should be illegal. I can taste it just from the pic.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks GREAT Lee. :tiphat: :clap: :clap:

Sure does look good Andy. Mmmmmmmm I could just taste it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Basically regardless of what one calls it pastrami and corned beef are brisket to start with. Just different ways they are prepared. I happen to be a fan of all methods of cooking this piece of beef regardless.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Me, too, joe!

Although I always have cooked a fresh packer brisket on the smoker, my Jewish neighbor always cooks a brisket flat in the oven, pot roast-style.

I've never done the latter, but I'm sure it's also delicious.

Lee

AllenOK

I've always understood that "corned" means it was soaked in a solution containing saltpeter. If you research the history of the production of gunpowder, you'll find a reference to "corning" the coal/charcoal by soaking it in a solution of water and saltpeter, as this gets the nitrate/nitrite more thoroughly mixed into the carbon, resulting in a more efficient burn.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Me, too, joe!

Although I always have cooked a fresh packer brisket on the smoker, my Jewish neighbor always cooks a brisket flat in the oven, pot roast-style.

I've never done the latter, but I'm sure it's also delicious.

Lee

I've made it the Jewish way as well as smoked it and love it no matter how it is prepared, that is as long as it is tender. If cooked right it will be too.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whoa!!! BEEEEYUUUUUU TIFUL photo, Paymaster!

Making my mouth water!

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Now that's some good red meat. Yummy

My first pastrami was from a store bought corned beef. I live for.after St Patty's day corned beef sales. LOL

For corned beef/pastrami from scratch I like to use a leaner cut of meat because of family preferences about fat.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Did another one of these this weekend, since I had the smoker out. I do exactly what Guts (the OP) does, including buying the corned beef around St. Pat's Day on sale, and freezing until ready to make pastrami.

This time, I Foodsavered the cooked meat whole, until I'm ready to thaw and slice it on my deli slicer.

Lee

Attachments

• Pastrami 1.JPG
    Pastrami 1.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Pastrami 2.JPG
    Pastrami 2.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Pastrami 3.JPG
    Pastrami 3.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Pastrami 4.JPG
    Pastrami 4.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Wow
Reactions: Doc

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump for Johnny West. John, see post #12. It's slightly different than the temps I sent you, but storebought corned beef points are pretty forgiving.

I have two red points and a gray point in the freezer. I'll make a boiled dinner of the gray for Dad. When the weather warms up, I'll smoke the 2 reds - one to slice and foodsaver in packet for pastrami sandwiches and the other to grind up and freeze in packets for hash.

Lee

Johnny West

Bump for Johnny West. John, see post #12. It's slightly different than the temps I sent you, but storebought corned beef points are pretty forgiving.

I have two red points and a gray point in the freezer. I'll make a boiled dinner of the gray for Dad. When the weather warms up, I'll smoke the 2 reds - one to slice and foodsaver in packet for pastrami sandwiches and the other to grind up and freeze in packets for hash.

Lee
Thanks. I’m shopping for another corned beef tomorrow.