NCT Cooks Challenge 23 Oct 4 - Oct 11 CHICKEN

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
One more question about your chicken, Keltin...what did you season it with? Is that a secret? It looks like maybe some paprika in with that flour, probably lots of other good stuff, too.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
One more question about your chicken, Keltin...what did you season it with? Is that a secret? It looks like maybe some paprika in with that flour, probably lots of other good stuff, too.

Yep, you're right, Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper, and a bit of Chile powder all went in the flour. Good eye!! :thumb:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Yum yum. That's the way I fry chicken also, but I really like the look of your chicken better than mine, and I'll bet it tastes great with that seasoning - thanks!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, that almost enough to make this city girl try frying chicken! I haven't had homemade fried chicken since my mother died, in 1967. Maybe it's time I learned!

Karen those flavors sound amazing. I don't own a crockpot. Do you think the combination would work as a slow braise?

Thanks, SS. I think it would work, but it would need to be v e r y slow...that's what a crockpot does, after all. Try it and let us know!

Hmmmm......have you got an oven safe Dutch Oven or similar large pot? You could put the covered pot on the lowest rack of the oven, set the oven for 225 and let it go that way. Should work out pretty close to the same.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Hmmmm......have you got an oven safe Dutch Oven or similar large pot? You could put the covered pot on the lowest rack of the oven, set the oven for 225 and let it go that way. Should work out pretty close to the same.
I never use a crockpot/slowcooker in that way any more I ONLY use the deep fry option on my combo steamer/slowcooker/deep fryer to do chicken. I just simmer in heavy bottom pot on stove top. Oh and I DO put it in my black caldron on halloween to keep water hot so I can drop dry ice in and make steam when the kids come to trick or treat!! :smile: Along with the 2 mega foggers it gets pretty spooky!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
In a tropical climate, a slow cooker is your friend. I can simmer away all day without an open gas flame on the stove heating up the house. I actually MUCH prefer the taste of something slow cooked in the oven, but have learned to make the most of my slow cooker here. Once the weather cools down a bit for winter, I'll hardly use it.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Everyone is doing a wonderful job with chicken...such variety!

I made a simple chicken salad using shredded rotisserie chicken, dried cranberries, orange juice, almonds, celery, mayo, salt and pepper.

Attachments

• chicken-salad-sandwich.jpg
    chicken-salad-sandwich.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 170
  • cut-chicken-salad-sandwich.jpg
    cut-chicken-salad-sandwich.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 163

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That looks incredible Mama!!! I've seen other recipes that add cranberry to chicken....how is that? What does it add?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That looks incredible Mama!!! I've seen other recipes that add cranberry to chicken....how is that? What does it add?

A bit of Thanksgiving :w00t:

It adds a nice little sweetness that goes really well with chicken and turkey.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
A bit of Thanksgiving :w00t:

It adds a nice little sweetness that goes really well with chicken and turkey.

PERFECT! That makes absolute and total sense! Thanks for putting it that way! I've got to try this now! :thumb:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I reconstituted 1/2 cup of dried cranberries with 1/2 cup of orange juice in the microwave on high for a minute, shredded a whole rotisserie chicken and then mixed in 1/2 cup of each of celery, almonds and mayo. Salt and pepper to taste. It was pretty tasty.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mama, I make chicken salad almost the same way, except it has never occurred to me to reconstitute the cranberries in orange juice. I'll do that next time. I usually add a little bit of minced red onion. Yours looks so lovely - you have a great talent for food photography.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Karen...I really enjoy playing with my food...I think that people really do eat with their eyes first.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Mama, you and I think alike. I also made chicken salad with fruit & nuts.

Poached 2 chicken breasts, then cooled and shredded it. Added apples, walnuts, scallions, mayo, parsley, celery seed, s&p. Put it in wraps with some crisp lettuce. They were very good, but the pics were horrible. Some days I just can't hold my hands steady!

Keltin, fruit & nuts in chicken salad are wonderful. Another good combination to try is halved grapes and slivered almonds. Or dried cherries & any nut.

goatherder

Cooksie and SS - your chicken dishes look like something out of Bon Appetit. Beautiful dinners!

Edited to add: while I was writing my post, Keltin posted those FANTASTIC chicken legs and mhend posted her beautiful chicken cakes. Please - let us all know how you made those. They look wonderful!

I have to say that my whole chicken in the crockpot was an unqualified success. It will never make the pages of Gourmet magazine, but it really tasted good - Jerry gave it a 9.9! And there were no potatoes involved!

Here is how I did it - based on a recipe I found at All Recipes, which (of course) I changed a bit.

First, I skinned the chicken (except for the wings - too difficult). Then I made a sauce as follows:

1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp Worcestershire
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp garlic powder
1 TBS hot pepper flakes

Mix this all together, put the chicken in the crockpot and pour the sauce over it. I cooked it breast side down for the first half and then turned it (that's why it looks funny). This was not a huge chicken (about 3.5 pounds), so after six hours on low, it was done. I took out the chicken, cooled it a bit, and refrigerated it until dinner. I let the sauce continue to cook, and added a couple TBS cornstarch. Then I put the breast meat back in with the sauce about a half hour before we ate, to warm it up, and acquaint the chicken a little better with the delicious sauce. Served with rice, zucchini and some green onions for taste and color. And a little bit of watermelon.

Oh, let me tell you - it was moist, it was SO tender. Just yummy. Definitely a keeper. AND - we have leftovers to eat for lunch tomorrow!

Thanks, goatherder - you are the one who gave me the idea.

LOL, just saw this:D, was wondering how it turned out:biggrin:. Thanks for describing your technigue! Glad it worked so well for you. Me thinks sometimes a crock pot gets a bad rap, but like any tool, technique is critical:thumb:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Hey!! hahaha..look at me, I finally got a picture of some food again!

Chicken soup with ancini di pepe

RedGravy125CampStreet025.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Pan roasted chicken breast with stewed vegetables.

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Show-off!

:yum:

That's amazing Jay. I don't think I could eat that, at least not for a while. I'd just have to sit and stare at it. Beautiful! You've such a talent for cooking, plating, and photography! :thumb:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Fried Chicken!!

October2010038.jpg

October2010039.jpg

I soak the chicken parts (I break them down from a whole chicken, first) in highly seasoned buttermilk for about 24 hours. Twice dipped in seasoned flour and then fried.

Damn good.