Leeks

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
this is a fav - except for the nutmeg,,,, not used here

Cauliflower & Leek Gratin

1 (2 1/2-pound) cauliflower, cut into 1" florets
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 medium leeks (white and light green parts), halved lengthwise, rinsed, and thinly sliced crosswise (3 cups)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 fresh breadcrumbs, mixed with Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; add cauliflower and blanche 4 minutes, or until very crisp-tender. Drain in a colander; rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain; let dry on paper towels.

Heat oven to 400 F. Butter a 2 1/2 quart baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.

Melt remaining butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat; stir in leeks. Cover skillet; slowly cook 10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until leeks are softened. Remove from heat; add cauliflower and toss. Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish.

Mix cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper together and pour over cauliflower mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan crumbs over the top. Bake 35 minutes until bubbly and crumb topping is golden.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
this is a fav - except for the nutmeg,,,, not used here

Cauliflower & Leek Gratin

1 (2 1/2-pound) cauliflower, cut into 1" florets
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 medium leeks (white and light green parts), halved lengthwise, rinsed, and thinly sliced crosswise (3 cups)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 fresh breadcrumbs, mixed with Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; add cauliflower and blanche 4 minutes, or until very crisp-tender. Drain in a colander; rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain; let dry on paper towels.

Heat oven to 400 F. Butter a 2 1/2 quart baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.

Melt remaining butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat; stir in leeks. Cover skillet; slowly cook 10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until leeks are softened. Remove from heat; add cauliflower and toss. Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish.

Mix cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper together and pour over cauliflower mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan crumbs over the top. Bake 35 minutes until bubbly and crumb topping is golden.
Thank you 😊

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
a soup

parboil 10 ounces of yellow/gold/yukon gold potatoes; peel
cook until fork tender

two fat leeks - cleaned & sliced - no tough outer layers, minimal green
s&p, slow saute in 3 T butter/olive oil until sweated down / very tender

dry & add potatoes to pot
add one can chicken stock
puree with stick blender

add one cup light cream
check puree
adjust s&p to taste
adjust consistency with second can of chicken stock.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

Here's my take on creamy leek sauce.
Maybe use fish stock if serving with salmon.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter

Here's my take on creamy leek sauce.
Maybe use fish stock if serving with salmon.
Thank you!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've never used leeks at all. I know they're from the onion family, I just never used them. :whistling:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for bumping this up, Shermie! I looked and found this in my files. Will probably make it with local corn this summer!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks for bumping this up, Shermie! I looked and found this in my files. Will probably make it with local corn this summer!

Lee

You're welcome!! Like I said, I've never used them. I like them, just never used them. :whistling: