Jaternice

Johnny West

Jaternice is a Czech sausage made from the nasty bits of a hog, barley, bread, garlic, and pepper. If it has blood added it's called jelita but is impossible to find due to laws pertaining to blood. I ordered their from a meat market in Iowa, not to far from where I grew up. My dad used to buy it, when he worked in that area, and bring it home for lunch. Most folks turn up their noses to this but I never knew when I didn't eat it. I spread it on rye bread for a sandwich.
#########Jaternice.jpeg
#########Jaternice II.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny West

Years ago when Tony Bourdain had the program where he travelled around the word trying different foods he was in CZ Republic. They killed a hog and made jaternice. My fathers family did thats hen he was a kid.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John, can you describe what it tastes similar to?

Lee

Johnny West

It’s like a liver mush but with a hint of garlic. Pig head parts, liver, heart, and tongue are cooked and ground up. Bread, barley, and garlic are added to the slurry.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, sort of like braunsweiger (sp?) or liverwurst? I could handle that, with rye bread and mustard. Maybe some onion.

Lee

Johnny West

No, not really. it tastes like nothing else I can remember. I planned to buy scrapple to see if it is similar to that. no one puts Ketchup or mustard on either. it’s good with rye bread or eat without.