Irish Stew

Johnny West

By myislandbistrokitchen whom I follow on Facebook.
I neglected to get a picture of the pot before going in
the oven but will when it comes out. The only thing I
didn't put in it was the leeks. I used 5.33 pounds of top
round steak and hammered it mercilessly to make sure
it was tender.

87025126-73C1-448B-865D-9C43A23BC60D.jpeg
2E11BF34-B249-4D9A-BF8A-74EECE5E8F4B.jpeg
97E7DDD4-3C33-42BB-93A7-76240CECECFB.jpeg
7C742651-DEA6-463A-B20A-1EC81B9DEA72.jpeg

Johnny West

What's in the glass bowl on the left, the one with the spoon? That's not all Herbs de Provence???

Lee
Yes it is… I used a tbs of thyme, Rosemary, parsley, marjoram, Italian seasonings, oregano, basil, and the kitchen sink. I married two recipes together…. And tarragon. 😁

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes it is… I used a tbs of thyme, Rosemary, parsley, marjoram, Italian seasonings, oregano, basil, and the kitchen sink. I married two recipes together.

Oh, well your mixture sounds great. I like all of your stuff, but prefer marjoram to the stronger flavor of oregano (I grow the former in my garden, not the latter). How much of it did you put in the stew?

I never use Herbs de Provence because I can't stand tarragon.

Lee

Johnny West

Oh, well your mixture sounds great. I like all of your stuff, but prefer marjoram to the stronger flavor of oregano (I grow the former in my garden, not the latter). How much of it did you put in the stew?

I never use Herbs de Provence because I can't stand tarragon.

Lee
And tarragon... I love it in chicken salad and should make some soon.

I didn’t crush the rosemary in the mortar and pestle as I didn't think about it.

I took the pot out after two hours in the oven and carrots were still mostly raw
so put it back in oven for two more hours. The broth tastes wonderful.

72B7DFD3-552C-4ADE-9DBD-C0EB8F4E39B5.jpeg
21D29660-561B-4480-9879-AFA9B272B18D.jpeg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Irish stew is made with mutton (old lamb), not beef. And the white turnip should be a yellow turnip (aka rutabaga or swede). I've never met an Irish person who uses anything nore than salt and pepper. Like the Brits, they are notoriusly bland cooks. I grew up on Irish food - I learned to cook in self defense.

At least you didn't make New England boiled dinner and call it Irish corned beef and cabbage!!
Sorry, my annual soapbox.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, I was surprised that the woman's recipe called for beef instead of lamb, but at least she added Guinness ☺️

Speaking of boiled dinner, corned beef is dirt cheap ($1.47/lb for point, $1.97 for flat) this week. I picked up one for boiled dinner and will get another point to smoke for pastrami on the warmer weather.

Lee

Reactions: Doc

Johnny West

Every Wed. my church, Christ Episcopal Church, does a soup kitchen to provide a hot meal for the street people or anyone in need of a hot lunch. We have a huge homeless population in Puyallup with folks living rough along the river. Once a month I make a soup, usually chili, but have been trying to put some variety into my rotation. Since tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day I wanted to do the Irish Stew. I don’t think the street people missed the mutton.