Homemade Mint Sauce

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I will be making 1/2 a recipe of this sometime this summer. I always have a pot of mint growing, I love malt vinegar and I prefer the sauce to mint jelly. Five people reviewed this simple recipe and all gave it 5's.

Lee

Homemade Mint Sauce

Ingredients

1 large bunch of fresh mint (about 30g/1oz or a packed cup or leaves)

1 cup (240ml) boiling water

2 tsp sugar (caster/superfine is best)

2 tbsp malt vinegar

1 pinch of salt

Instructions

Finely chop the mint leaves, discarding the stalks.

Place in a bowl and cover with the boiling water. Leave to steep for a few minutes, then drain over a sieve.

Give the leaves a rinse with cold water whilst still in the sieve (to stop the cooking process) and place in a small serving bowl with the sugar, vinegar and salt.

Stir together and leave for 20-30 minutes – to allow the flavour to develop. Then serve.

Can I make it ahead?

Yes, you can ahead (store in a covered jar in the refrigerator)- BUT - the mint will lose its vibrancy. The vibrant colour of the mint only lasts an hour or two after mixing with the vinegar. At this point the mint becomes a duller green - more associated with shop-bought sauces. I usually make mine a couple of hours ahead as the flavour develop more if left longer.

How long will it last in the fridge?

I usually cover mine and keep in the fridge for 2-3 days, but it can keep for 2-3 months so long as the leaves are covered in the liquid and the sauce is stored in a sterilised, sealed jar in the fridge.