Help With Egg Bites

Vmusic

Hi,
In an effort to be more health conscious, I started making my own egg bites. My ingredients are:
  • Eggs (typically from a container either egg whites or liquid eggs)
  • Chopped veggies
  • Soy Milk (mix with the egg)
The process; I finely chop my veggies in my blender (it's easier and faster and I don't care about the presentation), then I mix about 80% liquid eggs and 20% soy milk. I lightly grease the muffin tins with spray olive oil. I scoop out my veggie mix to fill about half of each muffin tin. I pour in /over the egg and soy milk mixture. I bake at like 400 for about 30 minutes.

PROBLEM: The veggies "float" to the top. What I want is to have the veggies EVENLY distributed throughout the entire egg bite, like you get at the coffee shop or store. Float may not be the best word, but when the baking is finished, the veggies are at the top not throughout the eggbite.

I have some pictures showing this problem.
Any Ideas??
Thanks
AJ

EggBites-01.jpg
EggBites-02.jpg
EggBites-03.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi,
In an effort to be more health conscious, I started making my own egg bites. My ingredients are:
  • Eggs (typically from a container either egg whites or liquid eggs)
  • Chopped veggies
  • Soy Milk (mix with the egg)
The process; I finely chop my veggies in my blender (it's easier and faster and I don't care about the presentation), then I mix about 80% liquid eggs and 20% soy milk. I lightly grease the muffin tins with spray olive oil. I scoop out my veggie mix to fill about half of each muffin tin. I pour in /over the egg and soy milk mixture. I bake at like 400 for about 30 minutes.

PROBLEM: The veggies "float" to the top. What I want is to have the veggies EVENLY distributed throughout the entire egg bite, like you get at the coffee shop or store. Float may not be the best word, but when the baking is finished, the veggies are at the top not throughout the eggbite.

I have some pictures showing this problem.
Any Ideas??
Thanks
AJ

View attachment 68301View attachment 68302View attachment 68303

Try cooking your vegs first or using frozen vegs. See if either helps.

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I just made egg bites today! Do what Lee said. It's important to precook the vegetables, and then blot/drain them well. Otherwise you are just adding more water to your eggs as they cook.

Also. It's important to cook your bites with a low, gentle heat. When eggs cook at high temperatures, they tighten up and 'squeeze out' their water. In order to keep them nicely emulsified, you need to use a low heat.

I don't know how soy milk interacts, but if you are not opposed to dairy, try making a batch with whole eggs and half and half, just to learn the timing and temperature that works.

And especially, don't be so hard on yourself. The commercial producers add emulsifiers just to keep those veggies suspended for presentation.

Vmusic

WOW!! Thank you everyone. I will try freezing the veggies; which spawns another question.

If I chop the veggies and freeze them together in one "bag" or "container", I think they'll be stuck together. Remember - I chop them with a blender, so they're rather finely chopped. The blend chopping technique saves time.... and to be honest, I'm lazy.

SO - how can I freeze the somewhat finely chopped veggies so they don't "freeze" together in one big clump?

Thanks!!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Cook them. Freezing just freezes the water. You need to cook the water off. Throw them in a skillet and cook out the water. Then dump the. Out on a paper towel and pat them dry

SilverSage

Resident Crone
@SilverSage Can you kindly send over your recipe. I appreciate that.
I use 8 eggs with 1 1/4 cup dairy (usually half &half). I blend it with some salt, pepper, nutmeg, and a small pinch of cayenne, with my stick blender. Let it sit so the bubbles rise out while you prep the veggies.

I saute some diced onion, sliced mushrooms, and chopped spinach until the water is extracted, then drain each on paper towel. Slice up a scallion and shred a pile of Swiss cheese.

Spray a silicone muffin pan with nonstick spray, then divide the veggies and cheese into it evenly. Scoop the foam off the top of the egg mixture, give it a stir, and pour it over the veggies. I take a fork to each to make sure everything is distributed evenly.

I put mine in the steam oven (sous vide setting) at 165F for 20 minutes, then under the broiler for a few minutes to finish them off. You can do them in a regular oven, but the time and temp would need to be adjusted. Just keep the heat gentle.

I really don't do anything the quick & easy way, as folks here will tell you, but these turn out better than anything you can buy.