Grub Steak

Johnny West

was fantastic again. I had the prime rib and Nancy had fillet mignon. I’m not even sure what my dessert was called but it was a frozen chocolate thing with thick Oreo type cookie on the bottom. I never eat all the prime rib and sure Matt will finish it off when he gets home tomorrow. Once a year I have prime rib and this is the place…

EE519850-2326-452E-A893-0CD8EC9F664D.jpeg6EC676BE-A48F-4923-9DC8-56FE7408B67D.jpeg96912D4C-788E-41B2-90DB-09DBE9E983A0.jpeg17DC1E1D-25FB-44D4-A2A1-4EC0D6FCDFED.jpegF260042F-EA12-4647-9F1B-88DA09E982E9.jpeg

Johnny West

Zowza! That looks fantastic!

Love the look of the Caesar, too!

Lee
I’d of liked more dressing on the Caesar. I’m going to have to find a creamy dressing recipe when I get home. I use the Art of Cooking recipe which is red wine vinegar and olive oil. I quit using raw egg, too.

Johnny West

The Square Rigger is the place I got a 28 ounce prime rib in Edgartown. They called it the Captain’s Cut. We went there our last night on MV, never to return. I posted a picture of it so many years ago.

Last edited:

Johnny West

The Grub Steak didn’t disappoint. I only ate the cap, my favorite part, and a few bites of the rare. The rest I took home for Matt. I had a Caesar salade and cheese cake and am stuffed.

6109BEE9-B0CA-41FF-A65F-A8F744CF1FAB.jpeg

EABD9CC1-2F35-4B39-AC15-D14412956534.jpeg781998D4-8823-40DA-8548-7B5ECCBF6D31.jpeg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
got a four standing rib roast for Xmas - went from $100 to $200 year-over-year.
the problem with prime rib aka standing rib roast . . . you need a minimum size to make it happen to expectations.
certainly one can buy 3-4 ribs and slice them into portions-to-freeze / thaw / prep. been there, done that. it works, it does not
approach the same 'lecktable' level as doing a full roast.

for Caesar salad, #1 - without anchovies, it's just a creamy dressing on lettuce . . .
based on input from forum-somewhere members, I got a one cup Black&Decker 'food processor" and I make our own Caesar dressing . . .

====================
4 anchovy fillets
((horse feathers - I use all but 2 or 3 filets from a 2 ounce flat pack. left overs on cracker for the chef . . . ))
(((((( I should add, I like anchovy...? )))))
6 clove garlic peeled
6 T low fat mayo/salad dressing
4 T white wine or rice vinegar
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
4 T olive oil (I use Kirkland EVOO)

mash garlic
add
garlic, anchovy, mayo salt&pepper to small food processor
blend smooth
add
vinegar
olive oil, to consistency

notes:
use about 1/2 tin anchovy in oil before use of EVOO
rice wine vinegar not zippy enough - use white wine vinegar
=============

the 6T of mayo establishes a good dressing volume for two.
increase for desired volume.

I'm on a quest to add the raw egg . . . just haven't got there yet, in years.... sigh....

eating out I always ask "does the Caesar salad have anchovy?"
the usual answer is "No, most people prefer no anchovy" - so like....why order a Caesar Salad?

Johnny West

got a four standing rib roast for Xmas - went from $100 to $200 year-over-year.
the problem with prime rib aka standing rib roast . . . you need a minimum size to make it happen to expectations.
certainly one can buy 3-4 ribs and slice them into portions-to-freeze / thaw / prep. been there, done that. it works, it does not
approach the same 'lecktable' level as doing a full roast.

for Caesar salad, #1 - without anchovies, it's just a creamy dressing on lettuce . . .
based on input from forum-somewhere members, I got a one cup Black&Decker 'food processor" and I make our own Caesar dressing . . .

====================
4 anchovy fillets
((horse feathers - I use all but 2 or 3 filets from a 2 ounce flat pack. left overs on cracker for the chef . . . ))
(((((( I should add, I like anchovy...? )))))
6 clove garlic peeled
6 T low fat mayo/salad dressing
4 T white wine or rice vinegar
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
4 T olive oil (I use Kirkland EVOO)

mash garlic
add
garlic, anchovy, mayo salt&pepper to small food processor
blend smooth
add
vinegar
olive oil, to consistency

notes:
use about 1/2 tin anchovy in oil before use of EVOO
rice wine vinegar not zippy enough - use white wine vinegar
=============

the 6T of mayo establishes a good dressing volume for two.
increase for desired volume.

I'm on a quest to add the raw egg . . . just haven't got there yet, in years.... sigh....

eating out I always ask "does the Caesar salad have anchovy?"
the usual answer is "No, most people prefer no anchovy" - so like....why order a Caesar Salad?
I love whole anchovies, my wife likes her chopped. I don’t care for white anchovies but will eat them.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
if you put a whole anchovy in a food processor, you'll get chopped/minced in a single pulse . . .

once asked about anchovies in a Caesar:
"No, but we can add them."
which resulted in a lettuce salad dish with ranch dressing, and a few anchovy
filets' laid out 'on the side'
ludicrous.