Green Olive Pasta

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, this was wonderful! The recipe called for a much thinner pasta than the regine I used, but my father had reminisced about my grandmother cooking "the long macaroni", so I got him some. Next time, linguini.

I did not use all the lemon juice the recipe called for - just a couple of squirts. LOVED it!

Perfect Lenten Friday dinner. With LOTS of leftovers, LOL!

Lee

https://www.spicesinmydna.com/green-olive-pasta-with-toasted-lemon-breadcrumbs-and-herbs/

Green Olive Pasta with Toasted Lemon Breadcrumbs

Servings

Author Molly | Spices in My DNA

Ingredients

For the toasted lemon breadcrumbs

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs

zest of 1/4 a lemon (about 1/2 teaspoon zest)

salt and pepper

For the pasta

1 pound bucatini, spaghetti, or linguine

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

3 cloves garlic, chopped

pinch of red pepper flakes

1 cup Castelvetrano olives, pitted and coarsely chopped*

1/2-3/4 cup pasta water*

1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving

zest of 1/2 a lemon

juice of 1 lemon

1/2 cup packed flat-leaf parsely, chopped

1 cup basil leaves, coarsley chopped or torn

salt and pepper

Instructions

Begin by making the breadcrumbs. Heat the butter in a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Once melted, add the breadcrumbs and stir constantly until golden, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest, a pinch of salt, and a few turns of freshly cracked black pepper. Set aside and save the skillet for the olive sauce.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta and salt the water. Meanwhile, wipe out the skillet you used for the breadcrumbs and heat the skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and butter. Once butter has melted, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the olives and sauté, stirring frequently, watching so that the garlic doesn't burn, for an additional 2-3 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Remove from heat and aside.

Once water is boiling, cook your pasta until al dente. When it's almost finished cooking, scoop out your pasta water with a heat-safe measuring cup or mug. Drain pasta, and add back into the skillet with the olive mixture. Start by adding 1/2 cup pasta water to the skillet along with the parmesan cheese. Toss the pasta to combine with all of the oil, pasta water, and parm to create a sauce. Add half of the toasted lemon breadcrumbs, the lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, and basil and toss again until combined. Season the pasta with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Serve the pasta with the remaining breadcrumbs on top, along with extra parmesan and herbs if desired.

Olives.JPG

Pastene.JPG

pastene on end.JPG

Olive pasta.JPG

Fully dressed

Olive pasta fully dressed.JPG