Fried green tomato BLTs

Jusa

In the US, fried green tomatoes are a joyful part of summer, and what better way to showcase them other than putting them on a sandwich? BLTs (bacon, lettuce, and tomato) sandwiches are quite popular here in the US as well, so why not substitute the ripe, red tomato for crispy, flavorful fried green ones? That's exactly what I did here, and it was awesome! I made a spicy spread with roasted tomato, garlic, red jalapeno, and goat cheese as a condiment in lieu of boring old mayonnaise on my toasted homemade tarragon and thyme infused sandwich buns, along with some thick sliced, crispy, country-style bacon and fresh lettuce from the garden. Yum!

Fried green tomato BLT on herbed burger buns

Ingredients:
Sandwich buns https://netcookingtalk.com/forums/threads/herb-infused-sandwich-buns.33030/post-365385
Fried green tomatoes https://netcookingtalk.com/forums/threads/grandmas-fried-green-tomatoes.33031/post-365386
Spicy tomato goat cheese spread https://netcookingtalk.com/forums/t...mato-and-goat-cheese-spread.33032/post-365387
2-3 slices of thick, hearty bacon per sandwich
Fresh lettuce

Slice and toast the buns. Slather the desired amount of spicy tomato goat cheese spread on the inside of both halves. Place 2 fried green tomato slices on one half of the bun and lettuce on the other, then place the bacon strips on the lettuce side. Close the sandwich, then devour and enjoy!

89074 89076
BLTs tarragon and thyme buns.jpg 89073

Attachments

• 1663710942005.png
    1663710942005.png
    227 KB · Views: 45

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have plenty of green tomatoes to make this!

Thanks, Jusa!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I DO have tons of green tomatoes - many more than you can see in the photo. So I decided to try this.

I am NOT a good fry-in-oil cook! I don't like it, never have, and the oil knows it. My fried tomatoes came out floppy, not crispy.

I made the sandwich anyway and it was pretty good - the tomatoes were more tart than their sweet, red counterparts.

I'll try it again with a different dredge, maybe. Not a huge fan of cornmeal, but might try some in the flour next time.

Lee

Green tomatoes.JPG

Fried tomatoes.JPG

BLT.JPG

Jusa

Well, I DO have tons of green tomatoes - many more than you can see in the photo. So I decided to try this.

I am NOT a good fry-in-oil cook! I don't like it, never have, and the oil knows it. My fried tomatoes came out floppy, not crispy.

I made the sandwich anyway and it was pretty good - the tomatoes were more tart than their sweet, red counterparts.

I'll try it again with a different dredge, maybe. Not a huge fan of cornmeal, but might try some in the flour next time.

Lee

View attachment 52944

View attachment 52945

View attachment 52946
For sure, you have to have a thin layer of oil and it must be very hot when you put the tomatoes in, and it's super important to make sure that you fry the tomatoes immediately after dredging them because they get soggy if they sit and then won't get crisp. It still does look quite good. I am not a fan of cornmeal either unless it's just a tad bit mixed in with the flour for breading. That's why I never liked my grandma's Southern fried catfish (or anyone else that used cornmeal in the breading). Maybe try some bread crumbs mixed in with the flour, like panko? Maybe 1/2 n 1/2 of flour and breadcrumbs?

Edited to add that if you still have some of those fried green tomatoes left you might be able to get a good reheat in the toaster oven (or regular oven if you don't have one).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Jusa, here's what you wrote in Grandma's Fried Green Tomatoes: ...."Pour a small amount of oil (approximately 1/2") in a shallow skillet and turn on medium heat. ..."

I think 1/2" deep is way too much oil, and medium heat is nowhere near hot enough on my electric burner. I did turn the heat up to medium-high, but still the slices were too soggy.

I chalk it up to my inexperience as a fry cook!

I'm willing to try it again, with some tweeks.

Lee

Jusa

Ok. I was using a gas stove and I am not sure about the oil depth since I eyeballed it and didn't actually measure it, sorry about that. But if the oil is hot enough it shouldn't matter too much I'd think...but stove burners can vary so much in heat levels! I used the burner on the right front which has very high flames, so my medium heat is pretty high. I am glad you have lots of tomatoes and didn't have to buy those, though it still stinks to have food that doesn't turn out the way you want it.

Edited to add photo of my medium heat:
20220925_151222.jpg

Edited to add I just realized how dirty my stove looks in this photo, LOL! Please excuse the splatters!

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
When my Grams used to make fried green tomatoes, she only dredged them in a mix of flour seasoned with Lawry's.
I'm not sure how much oil she used in the pan, but hers always came out delicious and crispy.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My rule of thumb for most of my shallow oil frying is: oil half the height of food I’m cooking into a smoking hot pan.
Mom only used seasoned flour also.