French Apple Pie

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oooo, that looks better than traditional American apple pie!

What kind of apples do you use, Johnny?

Lee

Johnny West

I made this today and may make another as I think this will get eaten tonight. It's not burned, just extra dark. I even put foil over it longer than they stated.

I just put a pecan pie in the oven. :thumb:

FullSizeRender%205_5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Johnny West

This morning I made the last two pies - the cherry turns out was Comstock filling so that was an easy fix.

The "pumpkin" is Australian Sweet Potato Squash Pie made from scratch and should be very good.

FullSizeRender%202_19.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FullSizeRender_31.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Johnny West

I believe tomorrow, January 23rd, is National Pie Day.

I'll do a pie for sure. I've got blueberries and rhubarb but this apple pi seems to be everyone's favorite.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Johnny, you made FOUR pies for Christmas??? Geesh!

I just saw the photos of the cherry and sweet potato pies now - gorgeous!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Ok I got it to work. I thought French apple pie had a pastry crust with powder sugar and milk icing drizzled over hot pie when it came out of oven. So it was an iced pie.

To me the picture from your is a Dutch Apple Pie.

Here are 2 pics both from Betty Crocker website.

Top one is what they call French apple pie and the bottom they call Dutch Apple Pie.

They both look the same to me. I am so confused. What ever they call them I LOVE the crumble/streusel topping! (BTW I used the recipe for the crumble/streusel topping from Betty Crocker website to make my Dutch Apple Pie over the holidays. It was wonderful.

Attachments

• French-Apple-w-ice-cream.jpg
    French-Apple-w-ice-cream.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,034
  • d20822e5-691b-4af2-801d-d045fd3af2ef.jpg
    d20822e5-691b-4af2-801d-d045fd3af2ef.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,039

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I found a pic (below) of what my aunt called French apple pie. It is labeled French apple pie with icing so I guess there are 2 varieties.

Either way they are both YUMMY!!

Johnny your pies look WONDERFUL!! My favorite pies are apple, cherry and lemon meringue.

Attachments

• picV7wu2r.jpg
    picV7wu2r.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,006

Johnny West

Johnny, you made FOUR pies for Christmas??? Geesh!

I just saw the photos of the cherry and sweet potato pies now - gorgeous!

Lee

I'm glad the link worked for you lilbopeep. I made a Dutch apple pie once but no one seem to care for it, same with my rhubasrb custrd pie.

I made the pies and then when dinner was done everyone said they were too full to have any dessert. By the end of the evening they were mostly gone. The sweet potato squash pie was my favorite but all were good.

:piesmiley1:

Johnny West

Ok I got it to work. I thought French apple pie had a pastry crust with powder sugar and milk icing drizzled over hot pie when it came out of oven. So it was an iced pie.

To me the picture from your is a Dutch Apple Pie.

Here are 2 pics both from Betty Crocker website.

Top one is what they call French apple pie and the bottom they call Dutch Apple Pie.

They both look the same to me. I am so confused. What ever they call them I LOVE the crumble/streusel topping! (BTW I used the recipe for the crumble/streusel topping from Betty Crocker website to make my Dutch Apple Pie over the holidays. It was wonderful.

I agree, they both look the same.

I use an old Betty Crocker cook book from the early 70's and will type out the recipes later.

Johnny West

Okay, in the old book the Dutch apple has a 1/2 cup of whipping cream poured into big slits on the top pie crust with 5 minutes left in the baking. That sounds a bit iffy and probably why it's been dscontinued in the new recipes.

I never met a pie I didn't like. :wub:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
in the Phila area, French Apple had a hardish white icing; the streusel top was "Dutch Crumb" or Dutch Apple....

curious stuff, words. pies taste better....

Johnny West

I've never seen the apple pie with the hardish white icing before but would love to try it.

My pie is done but I think either my oven is running too hot or I should cut back the temp from the 425°F the cookbook states. I should have checked earlier to put the foil on top and will make a note for next time so I don't forget. I'm sure it will be good, though, and glad I wasn't planning to enter it in the fair.

IMG_7938.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]