Fontina Grits

Johnny West

2 cups whole milk
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 cup coarse ground grits
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup freshly grated fontina cheese
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

1. Measure out polenta/grids and add 3/4 tsp salt to cup.

2. In a medium sauce pan, bring up milk and chicken broth to a boil.
Watch carefully as this happens quickly. Whisk in polenta/grits and
keep whisking until the corn grits have absorbed all of the liquids.
Reduce heat as necessary.

3. Once liquids have absorbed add in the grated fontina cheese and
coarse ground black pepper. Stir until smooth.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm, well, I have yet to experience that. I would like to try yours or John's.

I'm thinking grits is an acquired taste.

Lee
Have you ever had stone ground long cooking grits? As in, NOT instant or quick grits. Huge difference.

Johnny West

Have you ever had stone ground long cooking grits? As in, NOT instant or quick grits. Huge difference.
I’m thinking that was what I had as they sure were good and not like breakfast grits, which I like. As a Yankee I never had grits till I went in the army. My mom always made Cream of Wheat so transitioning to grits was not a problem for me. I never make them since my wife is not a fan. She doesn’t even like Cream of Wheat.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I’m thinking that was what I had as they sure were good and not like breakfast grits, which I like. As a Yankee I never had grits till I went in the army. My mom always made Cream of Wheat so transitioning to grits was not a problem for me. I never make them since my wife is not a fan. She doesn’t even like Cream of Wheat.
Cream of wheat and instant grits are almost interchangeable to me. I won't eat either. Quick grits have a little more texture and take a little longer to cook, I think maybe 15-20 minutes. I'm not fond of those. I much prefer the stone ground, long cooking grits, minimum of 30 minutes, but I cook mine closer toward an hour to get them nice and creamy.

I use a mixture of water, vege or chicken or seafood broth (depending on what they are accompanying) and milk/cream/half-n-half for my liquids. Usually sharp cheddar or ParmR for cheese, sometimes gruyere. Don't think I have ever used fontina, but I'm sure it would taste great as well.

I like white and yellow grits, though tend to prefer white.

Last edited:

Johnny West

Cream of wheat and instant grits are almost interchangeable to me. I won't eat either. Quick grits have a little more texture and take a little longer to cook, I think maybe 15-20 minutes. I'm not fond of those. I much prefer the stone ground, long cooking grits, minimum of 30 minutes, but I cook mine closer toward an hour to get them nice and creamy.

I use a mixture of water, vege or chicken or seafood broth (depending on what they are accompanying) and milk/cream/half-n-half for my liquids. Usually sharp cheddar or ParmR for cheese, sometimes gruyere. Don't think I have ever used fontina, but I'm sure it would taste great as well.

I like white and yellow grits, though tend to prefer white.
I’ll look for a coarser ground grit, then. We can get Martha White corn meal at WinCo and will get some to try my hand at making polenta.