ER wait times

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This caught my eye after Johnny's recent long wait in an ER.
Average wait times for each state. Accurate or does your experience differ?

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Well from recent experience, there was a fairly short wait time posted each time we went, generally less than 10-15 minutes. There is a huge BUT though. That is wait time for triage by a nurse or nurse practitioner unless you are literally dying or come in via ambulance.

When I went in with the kidney infection and back pain so severe I could hardly walk, and couldn't stop moaning because it hurt so bad (worse than labor with no drugs), it was almost an hour before I saw an actual doctor, and over 3 hours before I got pain medication. I will say the ER was nearly full and they apparently had to call in staff to have enough help to get people treated. I was in a room a little over 5 hours after getting there. I got a private room and a telemetry monitor because the pain, fever and infection put me into A-fib, which self corrected after pain control, a couple of antibiotic doses and the fever broke. I never sweat so much in my life. The telemetry pads kept falling off because I was literally dripping with sweat for several hours.

When Craig went in with the kidney stones about 2 weeks earlier, he had been triaged and had seen a doc in the triage area fairly quickly, but was still in waiting room when I got back from running a business errand over 2 hours later. He was called back shortly after I got there and got morphine within 30 minutes. Then, he laid in the bed in the ER sleeping for several hours until it started to wear off. I already knew he was staying by then, but he still hadn't been assigned a room over 7 hours later, so I went home since he was awake enough to know what was going on, and they had given him some more pain medication but not as strong as morphine.

Johnny West

They triage at the army hospital and wait times vary depending on severity and urgency of the ailment. It’s not first come, first served.