Dry-Aged, Slow-Roasted Prime Rib

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, so I did the Serious Eats reverse sear thing again. Cut off the bones, tied them back on, seasoned with salt and pepper and dry-aged in the fridge for 48 hours. Meat in a 200 oven for 4 1/2 hours to 130 degrees. Rest half hour, then in a 550 degree oven for about 7 minutes. Perfect medium throughout and absolutely delicious!

The sliced meat was actually redder than it looks in the photos.

Can't wait to have more of it!

Lee

Fresh out of the wrapper

Prime rib 1, before aging.JPG

Dry-aged

Prime rib 2, aged 48 hours.JPG

Done!

Prime rib 3, whole.JPG

Prime rib 4, sliced.JPG

Prime rib 5, plated.JPG

Johnny West

Doc and Qsis-: Your roasts look perfect! Mine was good but could have used another 30 min. or so in the oven. The quality of the roast I got was excellent.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Lee. Looks good. We cooked till 145 internal. After wrapping in foil and resting for 30 mins I forget to check the temp. Duh.
Maybe could have stopped at 135. What temp did you cook to?

We had some of our leftovers in a prime rib hash yesterday morning. Shredded hash browns cooked up then warmed prime rib in another skillet, combined the two and had eggs on the side. Mmmmm good. :D

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, I cooked mine at 200 until it reached 130. Rest for 30 mins., then 550 for about 7 mins.

Lee

Reactions: Doc

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
When Craig does a reverse sear on the grill, he's been stopping at 125, which is perfect for us once it's rested and seared.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When Craig does a reverse sear on the grill, he's been stopping at 125, which is perfect for us once it's rested and seared.
When grilling and doing a reverse sear, he's first cooking indirect (I assume). I wonder what the temp is on the indirect side. Might be higher than 200, and therefore the carry-over cooking temp would be higher, too, so it would make sense to pull it at 125.

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
When grilling and doing a reverse sear, he's first cooking indirect (I assume). I wonder what the temp is on the indirect side. Might be higher than 200, and therefore the carry-over cooking temp would be higher, too, so it would make sense to pull it at 125.

Lee
It can't be too indirect because he does it on the BGE.

Johnny West

This is the one I did for Christmas. My wife and I only got one small slice and Matt ate the rest after coming home from work (two nights). It's not the best picture.
#########Prime Rib Park City Christmas.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I did the low and slow reverse sear as well. A bunch of years ago here. High Cheese introduced me to reverse sear in steaks and I never looked back. A few years ago, I had family over for Christmas and did this with a 12# Roast and it was devine.

Admittedly this year I messed it up. I have no idea how the directions that I used got their suggested setting from and I should have known better. Anyway, I went to high heat too soon and had a lot of reacting to do. We did get there and all ended well.

I am most interested in at home dry aging like 30 - 45 days and it is on my calendar to try.

Food is a little "Funny" here lately. We are on a fermented vegetables, making Kiefer making Kimchee (She may be doing an online class for this), and making Kombucha trip.

DW has lowered her A1C from 9 to 6.1 with no med changes. Just now fighting the effects of the holidays and trying to get back on schedule.

Johnny West

I followed directions but it could have used another half hour in oven.
Everyone loved it, even Ann who doesn’t like rare.

Ann and Nan shared an end piece and the piece I cut Andy looked
professional, mine not so much. They took what they couldn’t eat home.
I have a big chunk left, as well as the bones but not sure what to do
with them yet.

71EB477B-7978-4F97-B184-032EACF88F9E.jpeg
5B4D3DD6-F049-4050-9C47-7C897010D4EA.jpeg
1F8E1E64-EDE9-46A0-ABCA-391250E5377E.jpeg
C5516C72-7429-4F35-8678-9A2AD3EF2B4A.jpeg