3 medium potatoes, diced
1 onion, chopped
3 1/2 cups water
7 chicken boullion cubes
1/2 tsp pepper
3 1/2 cups milk
3 TB flour
6 TB butter
Depending on how good the corn is, sometimes I use a tsp or so of sugar.
sprinkle of salt? (I don't use it, DH does)

Add frozen corn, potatoes, onions, water, boullion, and pepper to pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 min or til potatoes are tender.

Stir in 2 cups of the milk and the butter. Combine remaining milk and the flour, then add to corn mixture. Cook and stir 'til thickened and bubbly, cook 1 minute more. Enjoy!

Very easy, and I use 1% milk so its very easy on the waist!
chef.gif

Then I changed it a little a few weeks ago....

I browned 1/2 lb of chopped bacon.... removed it, cooked up 2 diced chicken breasts in the bacon grease... removed that.... dumped and wiped out the pot o grease....

went on with soup as originally posted except I used 9 bullion cubes, 4 cups water, 4 cups milk, and I threw in a tsp or so or dried thyme.
I added the chicken and bacon in with the milk to warm up.

And I didn't mess it up one bit!!!
:thumb:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
This sounds great SQ... I love chowders, so hearty and suitable for the colder months of the year!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Love a good corn chowder. Also love to add chicken or bacon.. yum!
I know I know, fattening as heck, but gotta love it!
Thanks!

homecook

Thanks so much Suzi!!! You're a doll. This sounds sooo good.........

To make this on Fridays for Lent would it be ok to use vegetable boullion? Then the next day I'll add the bacon and chicken. lol

Barb

suziquzie

well if it sucks dont tell me.... I'll end up deciding its my fault and i shouldn't have bothered anyone with the recipe...
:)
Dang I realy COULD be Catholic couldn't I????

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
If they don't like it you will need to report to confession and say 5 Hail Mary's. I can see it now: Forgive me Father for I have sinned, I posted a recipe that was not well received!!

LOL just kidding around here.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
The recipe sounds great....and you could spice it up a bit by adding strips of roasted poblano chiles and crumbling some cheese on top when you serve it....

Sounds great ( almost identical to what I do here). Havnt made it in awhile. Sometimes what i do , is instead of adding the onions right off the bat, Ill actuallty fry them up, then stir them in afterwards. Also, if the corn isnt as sweet as I like, Ill toss a little sugar in just to give it that sweet/ savory contrast. ( oops, just reread the recipe and i saw the sugar thing :smile: ) And if i feel like being a pig, ill use some heavy cream too. Anyway, looks like i dont even need to submit this post, since its practically identical to what ive done in the past. I guess I can end it by saying that it works out great everytime. Quick, easy , inexpensive ....my kind of dish.

homecook

Suzi.....your reputation is secure!!
I made your chowder last night but Dh took me out of town so didn't get to eat it until this afternoon. I did use the vegetable boullion because I was making it meat-free but I added the bacon today! Worked perfectly....yummy!!!! Thank you. This is a keeper.

Barb

suziquzie

Suzi.....your reputation is secure!!
I made your chowder last night but Dh took me out of town so didn't get to eat it until this afternoon. I did use the vegetable boullion because I was making it meat-free but I added the bacon today! Worked perfectly....yummy!!!! Thank you. This is a keeper.

Barb

Oh good I'm glad you liked it!!! :smile:

Johnny West

The mrs just made a pot of corn chowder for Christmas Eve. I don't know I'll have more than a cup full. She'll take a lot to work.

Her recipe was Tyler's and not bad. If it was just for me, I'd of added bacon.

Ingredients-:

2 tablespoons butter
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups canned vegetable stock
2 cups heavy cream
2 Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
6 ears corn
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

The mrs added some cayenne and chipoltle powder to zip it up.

Directions-:

Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme and cook until the vegetables are good and soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Dust the vegetables with flour and stir to coat everything well. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add the cream and the potatoes, bring to a boil and boil hard for about 7 minutes, until the potatoes break down (this will help to thicken the soup and give it a good texture).
Cut the corn kernels off the cob and add to the soup. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until the corn is soft, about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the parsley and give it another little drink of olive oil. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence

Read more at: http://origin3-www.sni.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/corn-chowder-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Johnny West

Nancy is making corn chowder for supper using my mother’s recipe.
I’ll have to remind her about Tyler Florence’s recipe.

Johnny West

Nancy is making corn chowder for supper using my mother’s recipe.
I’ll have to remind her about Tyler Florence’s recipe.
Corn Chowder

This is my mother’s recipe which was served on Christmas Eve for her and my brother Mike who didn’t eat my father’s oyster stew. This was good but we agree that tomatoes do not belong in corn chowder and it needs thickening.

2 oz of bacon or salt pork
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 small onion, sliced
1 No. 2 can whole kernel corn
1 Tsp salt
2 Cups diced raw potatoes
1/2 Tsp pepper
1 1/2 Cup fresh or canned tomatoes
4 Cups boiling water
1 Cup hot milk

In a heavy pot fry pork.
Add the onion and cook 5 minutes.
Add vegetables, seasonings, and water and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
Remove from heat and stir in milk.
Serve in hot bowls and top with freshly ground pepper.

A40FDC23-7D14-4C5C-83B9-0342C51B90DC.jpeg
604AAF49-4142-4029-985D-AE54D97DF0BE.jpeg

Johnny West

I made chicken and corn chowder this morning using Salt and Lavender‘s recipe as a basis. I didn’t use bacon or flour due to some folks dietary concerns. I thickened with instant mashed potatoes and kept it on the light side so it is more soup like. I’ll take it in to church today as I won’t be able to make it tomorrow.

F9452C1C-7362-4F29-951A-D57C59B54D78.jpeg

Johnny West

It was well received. I’m glad I made a large amount as they served 41 bowls which was 20 more than last week. I’m done till next fall when it will be chili.