Commercial Slicer

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
After several years of looking for a commercial meat/cheese slicer, I finally scored one this past weekend. A friend called me and said he had a 12" Intedge at his bar in Erie, PA, that was a backup in case the one in the kitchen died (1950's model that is still running well). He said he was getting ready to sell the bar and wondered if I wanted the slicer for $200, but that it needed some work and a good cleaning from being in storage for a very long time. I agreed the price, as long as the blade was decent and the motor ran. I've been looking around, and a decent 12" slicer is $400 ++.

I picked it up yesterday, and after making sure it ran, I tore it down and spent 4-1/2 hours cleaning it up, sanitizing and adjusting it. I still have to clean and lube the blade sharpener assembly, but I used my knife sharpening stones just to dress the blade. I'm going to order a stone set as the old ones are a filthy mess and appear to be chipped on one stone. I then ran some of my Sopressata sausage through it, and it shaved the dried sausage beautifully. (No pics of the sausage, sorry)

I need to get a handle for the sliding food gripper/guide (I have a 1/4" bolt in the holder for now), plastic spacer to keep the food gripper/guide from dragging on the sliding tray (I'll make some from Delrin on the lathe), and foot bumpers so it doesn't scratch my countertops (the original feet are missing, but the posts are there). I'll probably make those from delrin bar stock as well. The cord is safe, but I'm going to replace it anyway ,so it looks better. Right now it's a white cord that has yellowed from age and contact with God-knows-what over the years.

LADawg

Good find! I notice by the nameplate that it was manufactured since the postal service started using Zip codes, so it is not THAT old, and from what you said has not been used any for several years. I wish I could find something like that.
I have, make that had, a slicer that my wife gave me. I think she got it from The Sausage Maker, but it bit the dust about a month or so ago. It was a cheap household unit and nothing as good the one you now have. I think my wife paid about $200, maybe a little more, for the one I have (had).
There is a business in Foley that sells used restaurant equipment. I think I’ll see what they might have.

LADawg

I see that you said "I then ran some of my Sopressata sausage through it".
I guess that means that you made the sausage. Is that right?

chilefarmer

Joe, good find. Sure looks nice. I to am looking, our old one has also gone by the wayside. I have this restaurant steak grilling unit for trade, brand new never used but has been in storage for about 10 years. The restaurant supply says they are interested in trade. Maybe I can be as lucky as you. CF:idea:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is a good score Joe. I've had a house version the Waring Pro slicer now for over 10 years and does what I need to do.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I just learned that Intedge no longer in the business of making slicers, and thta they sold off the division. Smart a$$ woman on the phone said she has no idea who bought that business & its inventory. Grrrrrrrr...

Thankfully, both me and my brother have lathes and he has Bridgeport milling machine with DRO, so we'll just make the parts I need from Delrin stock that he has in his garage. To save the trouble I was just going to buy the parts, but now I'll go the old school way. Plus, we'll make some extra pieces that wear and I'll have them in stock for when they are needed.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I just learned that Intedge no longer in the business of making slicers, and thta they sold off the division. Smart a$$ woman on the phone said she has no idea who bought that business & its inventory. Grrrrrrrr...

Thankfully, both me and my brother have lathes and he has Bridgeport milling machine with DRO, so we'll just make the parts I need from Delrin stock that he has in his garage. To save the trouble I was just going to buy the parts, but now I'll go the old school way. Plus, we'll make some extra pieces that wear and I'll have them in stock for when they are needed.

I think you can order the parts from here: http://www.a1service.com/Intedge_c_357.html

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whoa! Sweet, Joe! That's a great-looking piece of equipment!

Lee

cgaengineer

Great find, I picked up an Anvil 12" 1/2hp for the same price and same reason, too bad its so dang heavy...at 80lbs I only take it out if I have to!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2