Christmas Cookie/Candy Swap

Deelady

WOW! It is definately Christmas at your house!!! Very nice! Hope you have lots of help eating all those! :)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
OMG!!! Vera, that is incredible!! It so reminds me of being a kid when my grandma did all of that baking......wow!

homecook

Ok, I'm pretty much done with my holiday baking. All I have left are the sugar cookies. My grandsons are coming over Sunday so I'll wait to make those with them. I'll get some pix of their creations. lol
I've got pecan tassies
banana nut bread
thumbprints (I put the filling in later)
snowballs (Russian teacakes)
Kolachy

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 118

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Wow, I have too many,lol. I have some new ones that a dear friend sent me recipes to last year. Damn, you guys have some nice pics of sweets! I'm only making fudge for now. Candy cane, cherry vanilla and traditional.

Deelady

Mmmm looks wonderful!!
How long ahead of time can you make all the cookies so they still taste fresh? I was trying to figure out what day I should start....?

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Depends on the cookie type, Dee. The dry cookies will stay good for couple of weeks or sometimes longer. Fudge and things like that last years, lol, j/k, but, it does last a long time. Gooey textured cookies and cream candies don't last as long and usually lose their freshness after a week.

homecook

Thanks Vera!!

Dee, you can start making them now......just box them up and keep them in the garage.......they'll stay fine. That's where I keep mine. LOL

Deelady

:D Thanks TG! I was wondering mostly about the sugar cookies, and snicker doodles. The oatmeal cookies and candy I felt would be ok.

Deelady

Thank Barb :) what about frosted brownies? Should I stick them in the fridge and take them out the day before?

homecook

You could or keep those in the garage too, unless you don't need the room in your fridge, like I do. lol

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I make all the doughs in one weekend, freezing that. Then, when Christmas is about 2 weeks away I start baking - just pull the dough from the freezer the day before I want to work with it. The baking goes so much faster when you don't have to do the dough first. I store each cookie in tupperware type containers in by basement - it's damn cold down there. Try not to open the containers overmuch. Each time you get air in there they start to dry out a bit.

GotGarlic

Great tip, Vera, to make the dough ahead and freeze it. I'm waiting for the molasses/butter mixture for pfeffernusse to cool right now. :sad: I'm also making Russian tea cakes and Christmas biscotti.

Another tip for keeping cookies: For ones that should stay soft, like gingerbread, put in a cookie tin, cover with waxed paper and put a slice of apple on top of the waxed paper. The moisture from the apple will help keep the cookies soft longer.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You guys are unbelievable!

I'm SO impressed!!!!!!

Lee

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I thought the whole point of this thread was to figure out who all was sending treats and cookies to me this year???:whistling:

Anyway, finalized list for this year:

[FONT=&quot]Sweet Dreams Chocolate Fudge Candy (Paula Deen)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Divinity[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Apple Cider [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rich & Creamy Eggnog (Eggnog Recipes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Eggnog Cookies (Garelik Farms)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cheese & Cracker Tray[/FONT]

I think that is about it, might have some instant cocoa on hand and of course coffee at the ready.

homecook

I thought the whole point of this thread was to figure out who all was sending treats and cookies to me this year???:whistling:

Anyway, finalized list for this year:

[FONT=&quot]Sweet Dreams Chocolate Fudge Candy (Paula Deen)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Divinity[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Apple Cider [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rich & Creamy Eggnog (Eggnog Recipes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Eggnog Cookies (Garelik Farms)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cheese & Cracker Tray[/FONT]

I think that is about it, might have some instant cocoa on hand and of course coffee at the ready.

Mav, didn't you get the memo??? I would have sent you something. lol

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Mav, didn't you get the memo??? I would have sent you something. lol

I have a terrible filing system, LOL! :lol:

Besides, it's generally considered a bad idea to send lots of sweets to a diabetic!:shock:

Better for them to sneak over in the middle of the night...

Deelady

The diabetic in my family is who is suggesting I make half the stuff I am.....:unsure: well actually more like demanding!:twak: Everytime she comes over she drills me on ..."you are making this for Christmas right? And make sure you have that also!!!":pat:

Deelady

That was one I was HOPING to include this year, but I already had too much to handle...next year for sure!!

homecook

I'm watching my grandsons this afternoon while they're parents went shopping. We had fun!! Here they are making and cutting out sugar cookies. Sugar, sugar every where..............

This is half of them.....they're resting after having lunch. lol

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Deelady

Awww how cute! Your little elves were helping you bake at the same time my little elf was helping me :) :) Cookies look great!!

We just mixed and froze 3 batches of oatmeal chocolate chip walnut cookies :D I added chocolate chips this time :D

Deelady

I didn't put alot because I didnt want them to take over the cookie....I also made a batch without walnuts for those picky people!!!!

Tomorrow it will be sugar cookies....Barbs recipe!!! With FM's icing :D :D

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
The diabetic in my family is who is suggesting I make half the stuff I am.....:unsure: well actually more like demanding!:twak: Everytime she comes over she drills me on ..."you are making this for Christmas right? And make sure you have that also!!!":pat:

Yes, we have a bad habit of doing that, LOL!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
LOL! Great recipe! I'm using the photo I took of them last Christmas as my desktop wallpaper this season!

Lee

eggnogcookiesbw1.jpg

Yup, I recognized them!! They have fast become one of our favorite cookies to make now.
Did you tweak the recipe at all? Yours definitely looking like it makes more, which I was going to have to do this year anyway cause of how fast they disappeared last year, LOL!