Boston baked beans, please.

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Many years ago I met a Billy Yank at a reenactment of the war between the states. He invited me to his camp where he had buried in a fire pit a pot of Boston baked beans that has cooked all day. Man them was some good beans. I have lost his recipe and I crave them beans.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So! can anyone help me out here? Any of you Northern folk have a Family recipe of Boston baked beans, for an old Southern boy? [/FONT]
Much Obliged!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmmm, sounds good Rustpot. I hope someone comes through for you (and me) :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well here are two I've made before. My favoite is the Jack's and always a hit here in my house. Now the Jacks also comes with a spice blend that is also good as a rub for meats also.

Boston Baked Beans
1 pound (2 cups) dry navy beans
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup molasses
chunk of salt pork, large diced, about 1 inch
1 large onion, large diced
Place dry beans in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and soak beans overnight.
Drain and rinse. Cover again with water, and simmer gently on top of the stove till tender, about a half hour. Drain again. Put in beans in beanpot (or Dutch oven) with the diced onions and salt pork.
Mix the brown sugar, dry mustard, and molasses with two cups of water. Pour over the beans and mix in. Cover the pot and bake at 300* for about 5 hours, adding water if necessary. Stir every hour.
You can do this in a crock pot, too, for about 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high (crockpots vary, so check your manual).

JACK'S Peach BBQ Beans
8 Strips of Bacon, cut into 1" pieces
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 #10 can backed beans (recommend Bush's)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (Your favorite brand)
3 cups canned peach pie filling
2 table sppons Jack's Old South BBQ rub, recipe below
Prehead the oven to 325 degrees F
Heat a large skillet over medium heat, Add the bacon and cook, stirring, untio somewhat crispy and its fat has rendered. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plat to drain. Leave the fat in the skillet.
Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Tranfer the mixture to a large baking pan.
Add the bacon, beans, pie filling, barbecue sause and rub to pan. Mix to combine and bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, about 1 hour.

Jack's Old South BBQ Rub
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika ( I use hot)
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
Combine all and mix well. Yeields about 3/4 cup

joec

Gold Site Supporter
As I said in my house the peach beans are a real hit. I have a few grandkids that don't like baked beans however they jump on them. This recipe makes fits in a 4-5 qt dutch oven for me.

Rustpot

Well here are two I've made before. My favoite is the Jack's and always a hit here in my house. Now the Jacks also comes with a spice blend that is also good as a rub for meats also.

Boston Baked Beans
1 pound (2 cups) dry navy beans
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup molasses
chunk of salt pork, large diced, about 1 inch
1 large onion, large diced
Place dry beans in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and soak beans overnight.
Drain and rinse. Cover again with water, and simmer gently on top of the stove till tender, about a half hour. Drain again. Put in beans in beanpot (or Dutch oven) with the diced onions and salt pork.
Mix the brown sugar, dry mustard, and molasses with two cups of water. Pour over the beans and mix in. Cover the pot and bake at 300* for about 5 hours, adding water if necessary. Stir every hour.
You can do this in a crock pot, too, for about 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high (crockpots vary, so check your manual).

JACK'S Peach BBQ Beans
8 Strips of Bacon, cut into 1" pieces
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 #10 can backed beans (recommend Bush's)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (Your favorite brand)
3 cups canned peach pie filling
2 table sppons Jack's Old South BBQ rub, recipe below
Prehead the oven to 325 degrees F
Heat a large skillet over medium heat, Add the bacon and cook, stirring, untio somewhat crispy and its fat has rendered. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plat to drain. Leave the fat in the skillet.
Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Tranfer the mixture to a large baking pan.
Add the bacon, beans, pie filling, barbecue sause and rub to pan. Mix to combine and bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, about 1 hour.

Jack's Old South BBQ Rub
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika ( I use hot)
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
Combine all and mix well. Yeields about 3/4 cup
Thanks Joe! Have you ever buried in a fire pit to cook these beans?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Joe! Have you ever buried in a fire pit to cook these beans?

I haven't but the original Jacks won a contest where he did it that way. He basically used the peach pie filling in place of the molasses as that can be hard to get sometimes. Either way both should work fine in a fire pit though cooking times might vary so keep tasting during the cooking process until done. :respect:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome Bams. :thumb:
I completely forgot about that thread. Thanks for the reminder. :clap: :clap: