Beef Pot Roast

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Pot Roast

1 Chuck Roast
2-3 T Vegetable oil
1 32 oz. carton Beef broth
3-4 med-small Whole peeled onions (ends removed)
1 t Thyme (dried)
1 t Basil (dried)
2 med Bay leaf (dried)
Salt and Pepper

4 medium Potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 lb. Baby carrots

4 T Butter
4 T Flour
1 t Gravy Master

Salt and pepper the roast on all sides. In a stock pot heat the oil. Sear the roast on top and bottom, or all sides. Add broth, onions, thyme, and basil, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Slow simmer for 1-1/2 hours flipping roast each 1/2 hour. Add potatoes and carrots and bring to a boil. Cover and slow simmer for 1/2 hour, or until potatoes are done. Remove meat and vegetables.

Strain at least 2 cups of cooking liquid into a bowl or measuring cup. Rinse out pot, and return to med-high heat. Add butter and flour, and stir to make a roux. Cook roux for 4-5 minutes stirring frequently. Add cooking liquid a little at a time and stir until smooth each time. Continue adding cooking liquid until the gravy reaches the preferred consistency. Add Gravy Master and stir until well blended. Check taste for salt.

Serve meat and veg accordingly. Make sure to include the onions, they are delicious with a little butter on them.

img0504z.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh. My. God!

My mouth is watering all OVER that comfort-food pic, Rob!

Great job!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, this was in my files as having come from Sass Muffin. But I can't find it on NCT.

Anyway, I made it today, but put it all in the crockpot (I skipped the browning) while I was at work. I added a handful of my own dried mushrooms. Fantastic!!

Let me tell you .... I came home from work and errands to a clean house (hired a house cleaner who was here for almost 4 hours!) and the aroma of an incredible pot roast! The heat has broken, had cocktails in the backyard with neighbors. Life is good.

I had the pot roast with leftover eggplant stuffing (gonna make more of that) and acorn squash. Dad had the meat with rice and homegrown Roma beans.

Lee

Beef Pot Roast (Sass Muffin)

3-4 lb. beef roast (sirloin tip, rump, English cut)

1 tbsp. oil (I omitted)

1/4 c. soy sauce

1 c. coffee

2 bay leaves

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 tsp. oregano ( I omitted)

2 onions, sliced

Handful of dried mushrooms (I added)

Sear roast in 1 tablespoon oil on all sides in heavy Dutch oven. Pour sauce over meat. Put half of onions on meat, the other half in sauce. Cover and roast 4-5 hours at 325 degrees

(I put everything in the crock, with a liner, and put it on low for 8 hours).

Pot roast.JPG

Pot roast, plated.JPG

Ironman

🍺
Well, this was in my files as having come from Sass Muffin. But I can't find it on NCT.

Anyway, I made it today, but put it all in the crockpot (I skipped the browning) while I was at work. I added a handful of my own dried mushrooms. Fantastic!!

Let me tell you .... I came home from work and errands to a clean house (hired a house cleaner who was here for almost 4 hours!) and the aroma of an incredible pot roast! The heat has broken, had cocktails in the backyard with neighbors. Life is good.

I had the pot roast with leftover eggplant stuffing (gonna make more of that) and acorn squash. Dad had the meat with rice and homegrown Roma beans.

Lee

Beef Pot Roast (Sass Muffin)

3-4 lb. beef roast (sirloin tip, rump, English cut)

1 tbsp. oil (I omitted)

1/4 c. soy sauce

1 c. coffee

2 bay leaves

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 tsp. oregano ( I omitted)

2 onions, sliced

Handful of dried mushrooms (I added)

Sear roast in 1 tablespoon oil on all sides in heavy Dutch oven. Pour sauce over meat. Put half of onions on meat, the other half in sauce. Cover and roast 4-5 hours at 325 degrees

(I put everything in the crock, with a liner, and put it on low for 8 hours).

View attachment 51961

View attachment 51963
Wow, that looks great, Lee! Right up my alley.
I am still a bit hesitant to use liners in my slow cookers. That’s just me tho.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I do recall making a roast containing coffee that was a "cowboy" named recipe.
🤔

I did see a "cowboy" recipe here, that looked similar. Maybe I edited it before saving it.

The meat was delicious! Couldn't taste the coffee or the soy sauce, but both, with the mushrooms, added umami.

Lee

Johnny West

I’m doing the pot roast in a bit of lite olive oil today… French coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper is all for seasoning. Onions, carrots and Yukon Gold potatoes will be added later. The gravy will be made with pan drippings, flour and milk.

BD481591-84E4-4582-B67B-68A7F78DBBF4.jpeg

Johnny West

John, that looks great! And your vegetables don't look cooked to death!

Lee
Thanks, Lee. They weren’t. I had them in the oven for an hour at 300° and were al dente so gave them another half hour at 350° and they were just right.

Johnny West

I’m doing the pot roast in a bit of lite olive oil today… French coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper is all for seasoning. Onions, carrots and Yukon Gold potatoes will be added later. The gravy will be made with pan drippings, flour and milk.

View attachment 52711
I’m doing Sunday’s roast today. It will be braised using Ruhlman’s recipe which I have adjusted a bit.

IMG_8106.jpeg

Johnny West

I put a cup of cabernet franc in and a box of beef broth - probably too much broth and may take half off and reduce it later. The house smells divine. It’s in the oven for 4 hours.

IMG_8114.jpeg