a fresh 2 lb. halibut steak
spread olive oil all over the steak
sprinkle Tony's on top and bottom
place on foiled cookie pan
sprinkle Johnnie's garlic salt on top
spread Italian bread crumbs on top evenly
add 1/2 STICK of butter in pats all over top
cook at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes until translucent
squeeze lemon or lime on top and serve with Beaver brand tarter sauce.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Sounds good. I beleive I know what Tonys you are referring to, its that New Orleans spice mixture, right?

pappy19

Yep, Tony Chachere's is the one and only. I do like Old Bay once in a while if I want a little less Cajun for a change, but Tony's is usually everyone's first choice.

Pap

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Halibut steaks are not my first choice of fish, but with 1/2 POUND of butter, on it, I'd LOVE it!

LOL!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm gonna have to try this. thanks, pap. you black sheep know how to eat!

the last good halibut i had was poached in a light saffron, tomato, and garlic broth. man, i'm getting hungry for fish.

pappy19

We love halibut as with all fish, it needs to be fresh. I was in our local Costco looking for some steelhead and saw the fresh halibut and bought it instead. I like it poached as well, but this method is pretty quick to fix and that's what I was looking for last night. I have fixed halibut this way many times before and it always comes out great.

Pap

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Just finished dinner. Yum. I used cod instead of halibut and instant mashed potato flakes instead of Italian bread crumbs. It was really good and I'm filing the recipe away for future use. Tony's is super good. I gave each side a light coating. The first couple bites only revealed a hint of Creole flavor and I thought I didn't use enough. However, sneaky Tony built up bite after bite and by the time my fish was consumed I had a mouthful of Louisiana flavors.

Thanks again, Pappy. Good stuff. :thumb:

Cod is a great sub for this type of recipe. Haddock, Scrod, & Pollock too for that matter. Pretty much any thick-cut white-fleshed fish.

Johnny West

I made this Mediterranean fish dish with halibut last night. The sauce was made with olive oil, shallots finely chopped, garlic, capers,
59CF710F-41EC-4203-9C42-9058CA3C33A6.jpeg
coriander, paprika, cayenne, cumin, lemon juice, lemon zest, and a jar of my home canned tomatoes. It was baked in the oven for 20 min. at 400°F.

65A6D3AF-79DF-4A90-A64A-B961B225E721.jpeg

Johnny West

I'm going to have to try this - looks fantastic!

Lee
When you do I’ll give you more detailed instructions. I adapted several recipes and made to my liking. I think next time will get freezer section frozen cod rather than the pricier Costco product. Any white ocean fish would work.

Johnny West

I’m doing this tonight… time to prep. The price of peppers and fruit, for that matter, are outrageous. At the commissary, red, yellow, and orange peppers are $1.79 a piece, as are naval oranges.

Johnny West

I’m doing this tonight… time to prep. The price of peppers and fruit, for that matter, are outrageous. At the commissary, red, yellow, and orange peppers are $1.79 a piece, as are naval oranges.
I was wrong. For the oranges I was only charged $1.42 a pound but the oranges must weigh close to a pound a piece.

Johnny West

Can you please start a new thread with the recipe you used with additional, substitutions or removed ingredients. And the instructions. Thank you, in advance JW
I had googled Mediterranean cod recipes and found several, most all are alike. The one with all the spices, of course, I can’t seem to find. I’ll see what I can do but not today. We have a busy three days planned.

Johnny West

I had googled Mediterranean cod recipes and found several, most all are alike. The one with all the spices, of course, I can’t seem to find. I’ll see what I can do but not today. We have a busy three days planned.
I think I found the one I used or is close to it. I’m doing this tomorrow night so we can use some of our home grown plum tomatoes and use up halibut from last year.