Baked Beans

Johnny West

IMG_5427.jpeg
A recipe I got off Facebook and pretty basic. I used a can Heinz Original Baked Beans and a can of British Traditional Beans - 6 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs catchup
1 tbs yellow mustard
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce

Fried the bacon and onions then added the rest and put in oven at 300°F for 1.5 hours.

Johnny West

This is my aunts recipe, similar to calico beans, written in my mom’s hand. She was born and raised in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and learned the Palmer Method of writing. I make these beans to take to picnics and pot lucks. I usually double the recipe and sometimes add molasses.

43B2EA3E-5A6A-4832-B2D8-92036954C2EF.jpeg
CA757627-E1FB-4B4A-A84A-374C7A005A27.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What is the 5th item?

This is an interesting recipe. Uses many of the same ingredients that my grandmother's recipe uses with dried navy beans and which bakes for 5 hour in a low oven.

The vinegar is new to me.

Please post a photo the next time you make it, John.

Lee

Johnny West

What is the 5th item?

This is an interesting recipe. Uses many of the same ingredients that my grandmother's recipe uses with dried navy beans and which bakes for 5 hour in a low oven.

Lee
Vinegar gives it a tangy taste. The fifth ingredient is pork and beans but I use a big can of Bush’s Beans.

I’ll be making it again in August for my son’s birthday bbq.

Johnny West

What is the 5th item?

Lee
I’ll be doing these for Sunday’s church picnic, as well.

Johnny West

The beans are done and ready for oven. I couldn’t find canned Lima beans so bought dried, soaked them almost 24°, still hard. I then brought them to a simmer and have them on the hob to soften. If they aren’t soft by the time I put dish in oven they are out.

IMG_5993.jpeg

lilbopeep

🌹 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

Johnny West

These were heavily doctored with extra vinegar, a can of blended chick peas to thicken, and cocoa powder to darken.

IMG_0754.jpeg