"Andros Diner" Greek Restaurant Salad Dressing

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Gramps -

here's something to try if you're continuing the experiments....

there's ketchup, tomato sauce and tomato paste. they all have a slightly different flavor profile and on top of that, "by brand" and then the no-added-salt-sugar thing.

I played around extensively to do a homemade "cocktail sauce" (shrimp, etc) and eventually settled on thinned tomato paste + horse radish + a squeeze of lime.
the differences of using ketchup/sauce/paste are amazing. you'd thunk "heh, it's all tomato based" but the end results are much different.

Gramps

Gramps -

here's something to try if you're continuing the experiments....

there's ketchup, tomato sauce and tomato paste. they all have a slightly different flavor profile and on top of that, "by brand" and then the no-added-salt-sugar thing.

I played around extensively to do a homemade "cocktail sauce" (shrimp, etc) and eventually settled on thinned tomato paste + horse radish + a squeeze of lime.
the differences of using ketchup/sauce/paste are amazing. you'd thunk "heh, it's all tomato based" but the end results are much different.
Oh, very true. :thumb: But we are long past the point of diminishing returns on this particular quest. Hate to put a percentage on it 'cause it sounds a little silly, but we are a good 97% of the way there and quite pleased with the accuracy of the result. I'll also admit that we have grown to love the Ken's dressing (noted above) right out of the bottle... albeit still with a healthy dose of Feta cheese on our salads, of course. No, it isn't exactly Andros salad dressing... but it's not bad at all for something poured right out of the bottle. :chef:

Yes, we are getting even lazier in our old age, if that is possible. :tongue: But there are always new culinary quests to pursue. :biggrin:

Take care,
Tom

Mkelleyf

Late to the game. Tom I grew up in Belmont. Andros was the best. Did you attach your version of the dressing? I agree with everything You said - lost cost ingredients. Etc. I recall heavy with garlic and feta.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Late to the game. Tom I grew up in Belmont. Andros was the best. Did you attach your version of the dressing? I agree with everything You said - lost cost ingredients. Etc. I recall heavy with garlic and feta.

Mkelley, welcome to NCT!

I found a link to one version of the recipe. She said to add feta if you like it: http://littlebcooks.blogspot.com/2013/01/greek-dressing.html

Looking forward to sharing recipes with you!

Lee