🍺
1 pound ground beef
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash ground black pepper
4 plain hamburger buns
yellow mustard
minced onion
dill pickle slices

Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-low heat. As the meat cooks use a wooden spoon (or a potato masher) to chop the meat into fine, rice - size pieces. Drain fat.
Add salt and pepper and continue to stir over low heat for 5 more minutes.
Build each sandwich by pressing the hot ground beef into a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Dump the meat onto the bottom of a plain hamburger bun. Add mustard on the top bun, along with pickles and minced onion if desired .Top off the sandwich, then heat it in your microwave oven for 10 to 15 seconds to warm the buns. Serve with a spoon.

1E68C474-FBAE-4453-9080-97F9BDF8EB83.jpeg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for reminding me about loose meat sandwiches, though I like the scramburger recipe, which is kind of like a very "lite" Sloppy Joe with pickle relish.

Johnny West

The first recipe is as close to a Maid Rite as one can get. I miss them. When I went to Mason City Junior College I lived next door to the Maid Rite so ate my fair share. I met my wife at East Side Maid Rite in Cedar Rapids, which is no longer there. It was a bar/tavern, as well, and on Wed. nights they had all the peanuts you could eat and long tables. The shells went on the floor. It was a college and nursing school hang out. The rest is history.

Ironman

🍺
Thanks for reminding me about loose meat sandwiches, though I like the scramburger recipe, which is kind of like a very "lite" Sloppy Joe with pickle relish.
Scramburger?!? Never heard of that lol. So I googled and it seems the recipes online vary soo much. Do you have one? 😉👍😁

This one looks good, maybe?

Ironman

🍺
The first recipe is as close to a Maid Rite as one can get. I miss them. When I went to Mason City Junior College I lived next door to the Maid Rite so ate my fair share. I met my wife at East Side Maid Rite in Cedar Rapids, which is no longer there. It was a bar/tavern, as well, and on Wed. nights they had all the peanuts you could eat and long tables. The shells went on the floor. It was a college and nursing school hang out. The rest is history.
Sweet. I missed your post. I remember you talking about them some time ago.

Can I still get a maidrite burger when I drive thru Iowa?

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Put this in a different thread if you want, don't want to impinge on yours.

I have no idea where I got the recipe, we've had it for years and years.

We sometimes put a slice of cheese over the hot meat mixture as well.

Scramburger recipe

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced, or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon brown sugar
¼ cup water
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1) Place the ground beef in a large frying pan.
2) Cook over medium-high heat, stirring with a fork to break up clumps, until meat has just a bit of pink. Drain or blot excess fat.
3) Add onion and garlic and sauté just until the onion turns transparent.
4) Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, relish and brown sugar, then add about ¼ cup water -- just enough to moisten but not make mixture soupy.
5) Add salt and pepper if desired.
6) Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.

Serve on hamburger rolls. Makes 6 servings.

Ironman

🍺
Put this in a different thread if you want, don't want to impinge on yours.

I have no idea where I got the recipe, we've had it for years and years.

We sometimes put a slice of cheese over the hot meat mixture as well.

Scramburger recipe

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced, or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon brown sugar
¼ cup water
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1) Place the ground beef in a large frying pan.
2) Cook over medium-high heat, stirring with a fork to break up clumps, until meat has just a bit of pink. Drain or blot excess fat.
3) Add onion and garlic and sauté just until the onion turns transparent.
4) Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, relish and brown sugar, then add about ¼ cup water -- just enough to moisten but not make mixture soupy.
5) Add salt and pepper if desired.
6) Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.

Serve on hamburger rolls. Makes 6 servings.
That sounds pretty good! I’ll definitely try this instead of sloppy joes next time.