Pheasant Supreme

Johnny West

with chukar and pheasant mixed. My friend gave me four chukar and a part of a pheasant and am making Pheasant Supreme for his game feed tonight. Nancy is making a blackberry and a rhubarb pie from fruit we gathered this summer. There will be six couples.

I boiled the birds and have the pan cooling on the garage floor and also chopped two stalks of celery and a bag of onions which I simmered on the stove to al dente. This afternoon I’ll debone the birds and mix the dressing together. Nancy will do the spices as she knows what she’s doing with this.

6CFACF7C-DA36-46CF-B7AA-0A288C2AA13C.jpeg

B4E596B2-CD41-414A-92CB-CD1DA748B33D.jpeg

Johnny West

I shredded the birds. The pheasant was young and not a lot of meat but the four chukar were meaty. Chukar had nice white breasts and am pleased with how they boiled up. The last wild chukar I killed was so tough we could hardly eat the breast and the legs were so tough I couldn’t bite into them.

A46FD4BF-21CE-4D86-88F3-B81216F73F8D.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Had to look up chukar, as I'd never heard of them. Beautiful birds.

Lee

Johnny West

The dish is in the oven. It has another layer of dressing and is baking in a 375° oven. When it comes out will top with gravy and that is it.

81D2797A-0F0A-4522-B498-0EA9ED20DDBA.jpeg
0E27E5FA-6874-4EAA-BC7A-304C71ABD112.jpeg

Johnny West

Had to look up chukar, as I'd never heard of them. Beautiful birds.

Lee

I could hunt them in the high country when I was younger and in shape. They are a killer to hunt, fast flyers, and hard to get close to. The first time I ever hunted them was after i got back from Germany. My friend‘s setter pointed a covey and I was able to score a double. The last one I shot was when my first knee started going bad And never went again. These birds we are eating tonight we’re game farm raised and released to shoot.

Johnny West

The dinner was a success with lots of wine, food, and conversation. Nancy’s pies were a hit and sadly I never got a picture of them. Thankfully I made the dish I made as there was no carb and it was well received and plenty of leftovers went home with everyone.

2B8F0DED-804F-42C9-B3FE-7707ACC31DF2.jpeg

The meat balls were venison and pineapple and the meatloaf was a ground pheasant. There was a razor clam chowder that started the meal and it was excellent.

761D182E-E053-4744-8350-6C12E0A743C9.jpeg