What are you doing today?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have never oiled my wood. Can I use mineral oil? And is it good for wood and bamboo?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I went T-day shopping today. Hub will pick up the mushrooms and herbs tomorrow or Tuesday (he works in produce dept. so he can get the freshest).

I am working out the prep plan and printing recipes today.

I will likely be roasting my turkey wings for gravy and possibly the raw cranberry relish and the cooked cranberry sauce. If pain doesn't het in the way and DD will help. Otherwise "tomorrow is another day" LOL

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
mineral oil is the "standard" treatment for wooden implements.
food / laxative grade easily found in grocery stores or pharmacies.

a step up is the mixture of beeswax and mineral oil. I like it especially for my cutting boards as it does leave a bit of a wax film (repels water - no soak in, quicker drying...) in the pix is the butcher block 'conditioner' - paint department @ Home Depot

when I did my knife block I let it soak, submerged, a week on a 'side' - i.e. six weeks in neat mineral oil right out of the bottle. it'll be good for , , , oh 30 years or so....
DSC_4652s.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Have any of you all noticed in the older dinner threads, for those of us who used photobucket back then- many of those photos are showing again- only now they have their ummm seal.
Akin to a watermark. :twak:
By the way, that is Vera's picture.

May2010137.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I originally used Picture-trail, till they nickel-Dimed me to Photobucket....

Then, of course, They also wanted more bucks for more photos..... should have found the site's way of handling photos years earlier than I did...
:bonk::bonk:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Three days of fun in the burgh!
I was staying near the Carnegie Mellon university.
Eating highlights were as follows..
-Ruth's Chris -killer filet with THE wonderful creamed spinach and potatoes au gratin.
-Mineo's pizza- wonderful!
-Primanti Brothers -pastrami and cheese. Omg!
-Pierogies at the Polish deli on the strip.
-Deluca's diner (20 minute wait line outside the door)
-Burgatory! great burgers and shakes.
I know I'll show a weight gain next week, but... whatever.:yum:

We didn't cook at all, except for baking M&M /pretzel Christmas cookies with Kasey.

Got a few pics of the trip, that believe it or not didn't include the food journey.
I've photos of moments at the house with future DIL making Gluhwein with Cabernet Sauvignon, Grandie and birds helping put up the tree. Yes,the parakeets came along!

Those have been posted on Facebook.
I now know why my son is so taken with Pittsburgh.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I stopped at Primanti Brothers once. I got what the waitress said was the most popular sandwich ......it was loaded with all kinds of stuff besides teh meat. I did not care for it at all. If it were just pastrami and cheese I would love that. So my question: is that all your sandwich had on it or was it loaded with all the other 'stuff' Primanti Brothers is known for?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That would be loaded with the fries and slaw, Doc.
Nope, didn't get it that way.
Those things are big enough as it is.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
IMG-7069.jpg

Kitttens have really grown, about 7 lbs each. They are most definitely a bonded pair and tend to stick together like glue.

Lately I've entertained the thought of training them to use my cat door so that they can go in and out and be regular cats and get some of their energy out (no liter box too, which I would love).

Yesterday, however, Blackie (feral female cat who has been around for years and is now about 20 lbs and meaner than hell, but beautiful) came to the sunroom window and just sat there staring in. Jax ran for cover, but Max went right up to the window and put his paw on the window trying to touch her back. He looked like...Are you my Mama? Blackie was glaring back like...Sonny boy, you have invaded my terrritory, and I will tear your gimpy little butt to shreds.

I've decided that with the feral cats, especially Blackie, and the coyote problem we have around here, that they will be inside cats forever. I'll just have to deal with the litter box :(.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have that problem at night sometimes, Sass. I listen to Amazon rain music, and it helps some.

Johnny West

There is a lot of that going around. Me, too.

I've got some errands to run and pick Amelia up after school. It was requested I make puttanesca for Peter and pasta with red sauce for Amelia. I'm taking a nap first.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
So!
I got to see my girls and give them their presents only after making several phone calls because their silly mother refused to take them to Ty's house because of his new lady and her kids being there.
Got it done!

Aimee refused to go to her parents for dinner because of Veronica , her brothers ex. They have a history which I recall quite well.
We're going there this afternoon to eat leftovers and so I can have some of Sophie's pasteles, fresh.

The best part of Christmas Eve was getting through all the drama and going to work!
Merry Christmas! Lol

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I had to work some yesterday and made the risotto for dinner, but I also got started on the Buche de Noel for our real Christmas celebration with DD and DGD'S later this week. Molded fondant decorations so they'll have time to dry. Meringue mushrooms today.

Attachments

• 2018-12-25 14.36.18.jpg
    2018-12-25 14.36.18.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 149

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Meringue mushrooms for the Buche de Noel

Attachments

• 2018-12-27 16.06.32.jpg
    2018-12-27 16.06.32.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 125

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Went to Defiance for a visit this morn to see my grandies.
Daddy's getting out of the towing biz in favour of being there for them more.
He's going back to mechanic/shop work.
Has a new lady too who loves the girls as her own.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I didn't do much of anything yesterday except watch a little tv. The fur flew between Meghan and Sunny on The View. It was quite entertaining.

Meghan was on one of her non-ending kicks when Sunny tried to step in and comment. Meghan quickly shot back, "I'm still talking." Joy gave Meghan the stink eye and Meghan stopped.

Sunny took the floor, and Meghan tried to step in and comment. Sunny came back with, "I'm still talking :yum:." Whoopi came to the rescue and announced a short break. If looks could kill :yum:, Meghan and Sunny would have been dead meat.

Not much going on today, just waiting on some knock-off crocs that I ordered on Amazon.

For the New Year, I'm going to try to get back into the habit of making a weekly menu and planning my grocery list from that. Maybe I'll do a little better in the cooking dept.

Great job on the meringue mr's, Med!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Finally reorganized my sock drawer.

Amazing how much room there is now!

Lee

Attachments

• sock drawer.JPG
    sock drawer.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 111