St. Patrick's Day

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I did a search of NCT on this subject and there were NO results! :huh:

St. Patrick's Day is a big deal in the Boston area. The 17th is Thursday this year, but some of the celebrations will be over this coming weekend. Doesn't matter if you have an ounce of Irish in you or not. I may have just about an ounce. :lucky:

New England Boiled Dinner is the most common meal - corned beef or corned ribs, cabbage, potatoes (natch) and usually, carrots.

I'll be having that on Saturday with some friends, plus some Irish cheeses, soda bread, Irish butter, Guinness (natch) and a few other items, I'm sure.

Is anyone else going to be joining "the wearin' o' the green" this week? :patty:

Lee

Attachments

• boiled dinner.jpg
    boiled dinner.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 193

Johnny West

The mrs and her bud decided we'll all go for Italian food tonight and they are Irish. I looked at the menu and they don't even have a steak! I guess I'll have some kind of seafood as I'm a bit over saturated with pasta of late. We'll see.

I've no clue if I'll get any corned beef this year and have not had any in several years. :sad:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I had planned corned beef and cabbage and home made soda bread for Saturday. My work schedule has been a bit hectic.

I was overruled. Corned beef and cabbage last night, no soda bread.

I do have a question for the group.

I have always put a beer or two in the pot. Do any of you do this? This year, I put in two and liked it even better.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
....no soda bread.

Treat yourself to a loaf of soda bread on Saturday, Andy!

I have always put a beer or two in the pot. Do any of you do this? This year, I put in two and liked it even better.

I don't believe I ever have, but it sounds like a sterling idea! Light beer or dark?

Trying out this method of replying.

Lee

Johnny West

I can't drink more that one glass of Guinness and never been a fan of dark beers.
I prefer Harp and will get a 6 today.

Last night's tenderloin got sent back for being well done and it took awhile but they brought me another that was huge, had the "tail" part still on and was extreamly rare like I like it (and they included two huge grilled prawns!). It was perfect but ended up getting two portions of sides. I sent what I couldn't eat home with Andy for his breakfast today.

I'll have to figure out a day to do a corned beef and will try the beer methode.

Sláinte !

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can't drink more that one glass of Guinness ...

Ditto. Same with a Black and Tan.

I like Harp, too, and that's all my mother and I drank in Ireland when we visited in the '80's. I bet I've maybe had one Harp since then.

Good suggestion! :beer:

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Not a Guinness fan either. Yesterday, I used two big cans of Foster's and was well pleased.

I have always used a lighter beer.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, just back from an overnight visit to a couple of best friends who are also foodies.

At noon, we started with 3 kinds of Irish cheeses, bacon-wrapped breadstick "shillelaghs", salmon mousse, crackers, candied jalapenos and Guiness.

That took us to a wonderful boiled dinner - Jan cooked both a corned beef point and a flat.

And for dessert, Jan whipped up a delicious Irish soda bread - some of us toasted it with Irish butter, some had it plain with various jams and jellies.

A fun, relaxing time, as always!

Lee

Attachments

• Irish cheeses.JPG
    Irish cheeses.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Salmon mousse.JPG
    Salmon mousse.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Salmon mousse and capers.JPG
    Salmon mousse and capers.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Boiled dinner vegs.JPG
    Boiled dinner vegs.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Corned beef point and flat.JPG
    Corned beef point and flat.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Boiled dinner plate.JPG
    Boiled dinner plate.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 131
  • Jan and Mandi 3-19-16.JPG
    Jan and Mandi 3-19-16.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 133

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A few more pix.

Lee

Attachments

• Jan making Irish soda bread 3-19-16.JPG
    Jan making Irish soda bread 3-19-16.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Jan and Irish soda bread 3=19=16.JPG
    Jan and Irish soda bread 3=19=16.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Irish soda bread, cut.JPG
    Irish soda bread, cut.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 137

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Forgot the shillelaghs!

Attachments

• shillelaghs.JPG
    shillelaghs.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 134

Lee's Bud

I just pressed a button. Don't know to whom I'm replying BUT must say, QSis ever comes to table with the most unique culinary offerings. The shileighs? Brilliant! Only QSis would wrap a slice of bacon around a 1/4 inch Rosemary infused breadstick, nuke it to bacon salty crunch delight then roll it, while hot, into a mixture of rosemary and cheese then display the finished product in a shamrock lined wine glass. But wait, there's more. She also rolled some in her homemade jalapeño jam which took me to places only QSis ventures.