What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I wanted to make individual pot pies. SO I bought a set of glass mini pie plates. I made these last night.

Mini Pumpkin Pie

mini_pumpkin_pie_022713_P1090790.JPG

I used the standard recipe for one 9" pie on the back of a small can of solid pumpkin. I used my pastry crust recipe for a 2 crust pie. The crust and pie filling made 8 mini pies. To serve I slid them out of the pie plates with no problem. That is a small 6 1/2" dessert plate it is on. I left this one in the pie plate to take the picture.

I am hoping to make little chicken pot pies (with top and bottom crust) tomorrow. Hopefully they will also slide out of the plate easily to serve.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That is tooooo cute Peepers. :thumb:

Icebox coffee contacted me the other day and asked if I wanted to sample their coffee. I told them sure so it arrived yesterday. It's a pretty big size, 14 ounces of concentrated coffee. I tried a cup of it hot and it was really good. It's cold brewed and has no bitter taste whatsoever, very smooth....anyway I've been working on a recipe for some mocha muffins to try it in. As soon as I finish working on the recipe, I'll give it a go and post the results.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
That is tooooo cute Peepers. :thumb:

Icebox coffee contacted me the other day and asked if I wanted to sample their coffee. I told them sure so it arrived yesterday. It's a pretty big size, 14 ounces of concentrated coffee. I tried a cup of it hot and it was really good. It's cold brewed and has no bitter taste whatsoever, very smooth....anyway I've been working on a recipe for some mocha muffins to try it in. As soon as I finish working on the recipe, I'll give it a go and post the results.
Thank you Mama. We are thinking of making little lemon pies. Just lemon filling in a blind crust topped with whipped cream.

I love mocha. I make mocha brownies with mocha frosting. I also make devils food cake with coffee. I make a pot of my blend of flavored fresh ground beans and use that.

Everything you make is wonderful I am sure whatever you make will be over the top on the flavor scale. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well alrighty Rick :lol:. Glad I could help.

Thank you Peepers...that was really nice of you to say. Lemon pies sound wonderful....coconut or banana cream would be really good too.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Chocolate chip mocha muffins

Attachments

• chocolatechipmochamuffins.jpg
    chocolatechipmochamuffins.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 133

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I made Mama's Cinnamon Rolls. They were FANTASTIC!! My family says "Thanks Mama!".

cinnamon_roll_pan_030313_P1090801.JPG

cinnamon_roll_cut_030413_P1090804.JPG

I am planning on making cinnamon, raisin and nut rolls in the next couple of days.

Last edited:

thegrindre

Got it! Thanks, Peep.
I've noticed that nobody dilutes the instant coffee before adding it to the batter. There doesn't seem to be enough liquid in brownie batter to break these little crystals down, but I guess there is, huh?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Got it! Thanks, Peep.
I've noticed that nobody dilutes the instant coffee before adding it to the batter. There doesn't seem to be enough liquid in brownie batter to break these little crystals down, but I guess there is, huh?
I guess so. It tastes great. BTW I like to add extra coffee. My family likes it mild so the recipe reflects measurements for a mild mocha flavor. Add more if you like a stronger mocha flavor. Just taste till you like the flavor. LOL

thegrindre

Actually, I have my own brownie recipe for one. I was looking for the amount of coffee to add to it. I watched a number of YouTube vids and have read a number of other recipes as well.
I thought of tasting the batter as I went along, too.
I appreciate it very much. Thanks again.

I think I'll make a batch tonight...
:)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thank you Mama. Where can I get the concentrate?

They sent it to me to try Peepers. It is in a very limited number of stores in the south. You can order it online here though: Icebox Coffee. It's really good coffee. I've been enjoying it for about a week now.

I didn't realize that you made the recipe I posted for cinnamon rolls. They turned out beautifully! You did a great job! I'm glad your family enjoyed them!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
If you don't want to order the concentrate, you could probably just dissolve instant coffee granules in 1/4 cup of water. Just use enough granules to make it strong...probably enough to make 2 cups of coffee should do it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
They sent it to me to try Peepers. It is in a very limited number of stores in the south. You can order it online here though: Icebox Coffee. It's really good coffee. I've been enjoying it for about a week now.

I didn't realize that you made the recipe I posted for cinnamon rolls. They turned out beautifully! You did a great job! I'm glad your family enjoyed them!
Thank you Mama. Going to try with raisins and nuts added next time. Do you have and coffee cakes recipes? Interested in recipes with cinnamon and/or nuts. Also danish recipes. Interested in cheese and/or cherry danish. Would love a cheese cherry danish.

On my way to check out the link. Thanks

thegrindre

This morning it's mocha brownies.
Unfortunately, they still don't have that shiny cracked crust.
After beating the butter, sugar and eggs together awhile, I looked up and saw cows headed my way so added the rest of the ingredients, but still no shiny cracked top.
Cut the sugar back a little but that was a mistake.
Added a bit more butter but now they're greasy.
I tried 3/4 teaspoons of Folger's instant coffee but should have added a full teaspoon.
They are a little too cakey as well.
I have the worst oven on the planet and they are a little over baked, too.
Not bad, but it is back to the drawing board with this recipe.

Notice how much air I beat into the batter in the first pic. That's straight out of the oven and still hot.

Attachments

• bnys1.jpg
    bnys1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 181
  • bnys2.jpg
    bnys2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 182
  • bnys3.jpg
    bnys3.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
stay inside the lines

or not.
I like to experiment with how doughs work in the non-specified form.

this is Joy of Cooking White Bread Plus (actually just half a batch)
I rolled out mini-torpedo loaves for dinner rolls and did a round.
I used a large stainless bowl as a cover for the first half of baking, then uncovered to brown.
made for a thin tender crust.

rolls on a rise:
DSC_2101.jpg

popped onto a preheated stone at 450'F -
meant to slash the top but got interrupted
DSC_2102.jpg

minor amounts of butter required . . .
DSC_2105.jpg

the round did well -
I was particular surprise at the 'loft' - it turned out about six inches at the tallest
DSC_2107.jpg

DSC_2108.jpg

sometimes I don't use a #2 pencil either,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.