What's your favorite Apple Dish?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Finally, fall is in the air here today! I was wondering what everyone's favorite apple dish is?

Mine would have to be a warm apple crostata from Maggiano's Little Italy. :wub:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Apple ANYTHING with cinnamon, nuts and raisins. Pie, Crumble, baked, hot apple with vanilla ice cream etc

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Apple pie (when I am in the mood for it)
Buttered waffles with warmed applesauce that's had a banana mushed up in it.
Caramel apples with nuts (is that a dish?) lol
Maybe it is, since I can eat 2 in a row (carefully don't want to pull the caps off my front teeth)

Last edited:
K

Kimchee

anything with apple butter on it. :)
In Boy Scouts, we'd core them, dump some butter, sugar,
cinnamon in the core, wrap them in foil and stick them in the
coals.

Those were gooooood apples!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I am an apple junkie!!! I love anything apple.... and am particularly fond of my homemade applesauce!

cookingirl

A apple which I have picked off the tree myself! with the leaf attached!! yum!!! favorites are Jonagold and Mutsu!!! :a1:
Will have to go pick them soon...end of Sept, eary Oct...:applause::applause:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I am soooo ready for apple season too! I could eat apple butter on just about anything.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love apple pie, but that apple crostata that Mama posted sure does look GOOD. :thumb: :D

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I love to use all different kinds of apples in a pie. Some our sweet, some are tart. Some hold their shape and some do not. We grow amazing apples in central Ohio. It has to do with the soil. My current favorite is honeycrisp. To me, it is apple perfection. At The Fabulous Food Show I was asked to do a blind taste test and try an apple under development. I surprised the growers by getting them all right. It was pretty fun!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I love apple crisp

12-applecrisp-4.jpg

Apple anything & everything. I'm partial to crostadas. This is an easy recipe I saved, to try when the weather gets cooler:

Apple Walnut Crostada
Serving Size : 8

1 refrigerated/ready-made pie crust
Cooking spray
6 baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (6 to 7)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Dash vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. butter -- cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

Place apples, sugar, walnuts, flour and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and toss well.

Transfer pie crust to baking sheet. Spoon apple mixture into center of pie crust and fold up sides of pastry to capture apples and juices. Dot with butter.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 287 Calories; 13g Fat (40.3% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 133mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

http://gosoutheast.about.com/od/restaurantslocalcuisine/ig/Apple-Recipes/Apple-Walnut-Crostada.htm

Attachments

• spotlight-apple-walnut-crostada.jpg
    spotlight-apple-walnut-crostada.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:

mhend

That is almost the same as my recipe (based on my mom's) only I also add nutmeg, lemon zest and juice, raisins and walnuts to those ingredients.

Oh those additions would only make this recipe better! I noted those on and will definately add those next time - with the exception of the raisins. My kids won't touch them. LOL. This is a picture of the one I made. It's not beautiful, but it's delicious for sure.

DSC_0028.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Oh those additions would only make this recipe better! I noted those on and will definately add those next time - with the exception of the raisins. My kids won't touch them. LOL. This is a picture of the one I made. It's not beautiful, but it's delicious for sure.

View attachment 13726
Beautiful!! I made and apple recipe in my CI pan and the sugars burnt on and everything cooked in it tasted like burned sugar for a very long time. Burned sugar is not a good flavor and family was very annoyed with me. LOL OH WELL!! :brows: :whistle: But I reserve my CI for savory dishes now. They still complain about some carry over but I will only go so far before I say *&^*(%*^%*&^)(

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Willing to share the recipe joec?

Sure Mama it is listed below.

Apple Brown Betty - Emeril Lagasse

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/4 cups stale plain cake crumbs (such as from sponge cake, pound cake or angel food cake) or soft fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch salt
1/3 cup apple cider
Vanilla ice cream, for serving

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Using 1 tablespoon of the butter, liberally coat a 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish. In a medium bowl combine the apples and lemon juice and toss to combine. In a small bowl combine the cake crumbs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves and salt and toss to thoroughly combine.

Scatter 3 tablespoons of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the baking dish and top with half of the apples. Drizzle the apple cider over the apples then top with about half of the remaining crumb mixture. Dot with half of the remaining butter. Repeat with the remaining fruit, crumbs and butter.
Bake until the apples are bubbly and tender and the crumbs are nicely browned, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool briefly on a wire cooling rack before serving warm, with scoops of ice cream on top.

Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 to 50 minutes

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm a fan of honeycrisp too Susan....I'm afraid I couldn't distinguish between the different kinds of apples though if I was blindfolded....that's pretty impressive!

YUM Peepers! I haven't had apple crisp in years!

Oh Mary....that looks wonderful...It's going on my short list!

Thanks joec! I'll be giving that one as well as the recipe that CaliforniaCook posted a try too. I LOVE APPLES!

This is turning into a great thread! Thanks everyone!

What's Eve's pudding Ray?

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I've just put the recipe up and linked to it. It's basically an applebase with sponge topping.