What is this?

mhend

Does anyone know what kind of bird this is? Every year, for 2 or 3 nights, they roost on my front porch. They always tuck into the corner face first, but this year, I was able to get a pic of it's face.

100_1472.jpg

GotGarlic

I believe it's a black-capped chickadee: Chickadee

We have mourning doves that tried again and again to build nests on the insides of our column caps, just like that bird. I asked DH to take some scrap wood trim and build some supports, so their nesting material wouldn't just fall off. They've been coming back for years now. I call it our Bird Condo :smile:

I don't know what kind of bird, but it's cute :) Sometimes early in the morning, I can hear what sounds like doves cooing, but I've yet to find out where they are. Sure is peaceful though.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
He's a cutie! I've had some kind of black scissor-tail birds build nests on the front porch eaves, but they make such a mess :pat: . We put up a fake snake, and they left :hide: . Maybe chickadees keep a cleaner house :).

I never knew there was an actual bird called a chickadee. I always associated the word with that old W.C. Fields & Mae West movie...

She says - "Come up and see me sometime"

He says - "Mmm, I will, my little chickadee"

Now I know he's calling her a bird. lol ;)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pretty sure it's a kind of wren, mhend.

Lee

Attachments

• carolina_wren3.jpg
    carolina_wren3.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 70
  • carolina_wren457.jpg
    carolina_wren457.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 67

mhend

That little one on the right is a dead ringer for the ones on my porch, QSis. They are really cute little things. For the past 4 years or so, there has only been one. This year we had two. They stay for 2 or 3 nights, never build a nest, they just sleep there. After those couple of nights, they are gone till the next year. I always look forward to their visit. :) Thank y'all for helping me figure out what it is!