TGIFriday, 5/20/2011, Whats on the menu today?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've got a whole chicken. I think I'm gonna roast it. Maybe some sweet potato dumplins and creamed spinach to go with it.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Me and DW both had a very busy week, so I think tonight we'll support a local eatery for dinner. The rain stopped (FINALLY), so we're attacking the fields that used to be a lawn, in the hopes of regaining control over them.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i suppose i'll thaw some chix. i'm so sleepy, yet. reese's pieces & can after can of caffeine-free diet coke sounding better & better by the minute.

Carolina Cooking

Ten whole fryers! Holy cow! Or holy chicken! LOL

I was thinking about tacos tonight too.

lol :chicken:x10 lol

I always buy them@.89 lb.Thats pretty much the only time in go in Food Lion.

I have a small freezer too. I will say it is full of flour . 2 turkeys & 10 chickens lol. well I do some bagged vegs & I buy fruit in bags too.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have to finish up the last of my meatballs so I bought a sub roll to have that with it tonight.

Lee

Nancy-MD

lol :chicken:x10 lol

I always buy them@.89 lb.Thats pretty much the only time in go in Food Lion.

I have a small freezer too. I will say it is full of flour . 2 turkeys & 10 chickens lol. well I do some bagged vegs & I buy fruit in bags too.
Well at least when you cook a whole chicken there's lots of different meals you can make with the leftover meat. Cook one, eat a million times! LOL
You got a great deal on that sale!

My version of spanokopita burgers with ground beef, egg, diced red onion, bread cumbs, Italian seasoning (wish I had Greek), sun-dried tomatoes, Feta cheese & spinach on onion rolls. Lemon/oregano roasted/baked fries on the side. Lotsa fruit in the house - kiwi, strawberries, assorted cut up melon & lemon pound cake for dessert

mhend

DH is taking our son and a buddy of his bowling tonight and my little girl is gonna spend the night with her grandparents. So I have the night to myself. I'm going to grill some ribeyes and make some twice baked potatoes. YUM! :)

K

Kimchee

Tonight is FEND FOR YOURSELF NIGHT!
We have odds and ends of leftovers, and wife has a stress stomachache,
so probably won't be hungry...... until I have scarfed all the leftovers, LOL!
She can eat Campbells Chicken Noodle soup, ha!
:)

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Change of plans. We tried a new pizza place. The Works pizza - pepperoni, sausage, bacon, peppers, onions and mushroom on a thin crust. It was ok but not over the top.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've got a whole chicken. I think I'm gonna roast it. Maybe some sweet potato dumplins and creamed spinach to go with it.

Here's dinner. I made some of JoeV's honey wheat bread. I think my pans may be too big. They just don't look like JoeV's. They smell really good. It's going to be hard not to cut into one.

Attachments

• dinner05202011.jpg
    dinner05202011.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 138
  • honeywheatbread.jpg
    honeywheatbread.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 120

Nancy-MD

That looks wonderful, Mama. Your bread turned out beautiful.

I didn't cook after all, we got burgers from Hardees.

cookingirl

Hey Mama!!
Sweet potatoe dumplings??!!! I have never heard of them.. up here, Boston...:confused:
Sounds good! are they very sweet?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks y'all and Yes ma'am, they are sweet. They could be a dessert. Really easy to make. You get those frozen yam patties in the freezer section, cut them in half, wrap them in a crescent roll. In a saucepan, heat together 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, 6 Tbsp. butter and 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved. Add 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla. Pour over the crescent rolls. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. They're really good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top too.

Carolina Cooking

Mama
great plate of food. :eat1:

I don't know how you didn't get into that bread lol

I am making his rye tomorrow. Its going to be 95` so I am in for the day. Might as well get in trouble :ohmy:

Nan
Hardee 's is the only fast food I will eat .Biscuits are good. Chicken is good. Burgers are good.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Carolina. I may need to stick with bread machine recipes. I just cut into one of the loaves and it was dense and chewy. Not light and cottony like I was hoping. For some reason my bread always turns out dense :sad:

cookingirl

Mama, I have never seen sweet tater patties up here.. When I make sweet potatoes, I jsut wrap in foil and bake, but yours look really good..
Wonder if I could jsut mash my baked taters with some s&p and butter, maybe a little brown sugar and wrap in the cresent roll.. and maybe serve with a drizzle of real maple syrup and vanilla ice cream???:idea:

Carolina Cooking

Thanks Carolina. I may need to stick with bread machine recipes. I just cut into one of the loaves and it was dense and chewy. Not light and cottony like I was hoping. For some reason my bread always turns out dense :sad:

I made white whole wheat one time. it went to the birds :yum::yum:
I do plan on giving it another try soon. I have 3 or 4 recipes for it.

I have to use my BM.It does all the work for me.:yum:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Mama, I have never seen sweet tater patties up here.. When I make sweet potatoes, I jsut wrap in foil and bake, but yours look really good..
Wonder if I could jsut mash my baked taters with some s&p and butter, maybe a little brown sugar and wrap in the cresent roll.. and maybe serve with a drizzle of real maple syrup and vanilla ice cream???:idea:

This is what they look like. If you can't find them, you could probably just slice a yam into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices and par bake them. Slice them in half and wrap. They don't need any seasoning. All of the seasoning is on the outside of the dumpling.

Attachments

• yampatties.jpg
    yampatties.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 123

mhend

Looks delicious Mama. I want those dumplings!

I grilled ribeyes and made some twice-baked potatoes:

DSC_0008.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Mary...there's a couple left if you hurry...you really went went all out on your dinner :w00t:

mhend

Thanks Mama. I have the evening to myself, so I didn't have to worry about what everybody else wanted. LOL!

Nancy-MD

I made white whole wheat one time. it went to the birds :yum::yum:
I do plan on giving it another try soon. I have 3 or 4 recipes for it.

I have to use my BM.It does all the work for me.:yum:
I have tried using the white whole wheat flour and I just can't like it. The last thing I made was spritz cookies using wwwflour and Splenda. The entire batch of cookies went into the trash. Awful.

Ain't nothin' like the real thing.
Looks delicious Mama. I want those dumplings!

I grilled ribeyes and made some twice-baked potatoes:

View attachment 11708
You are speaking my language with that meal. Awesome!