Sugar Cured Bacon

chilefarmer

This has got to be the best Bacon I have ever made. I mean you can hurt yourself on this stuff.
Dry sugar cured for 9 days, peppered and smoked with hickory. Wish y'all had some. CF:readytoeat:

Bacon3.jpg

This has got to be the best Bacon I have ever made. I mean you can hurt yourself on this stuff.
Dry sugar cured for 9 days, peppered and smoked with hickory. Wish y'all had some. CF:readytoeat:

Bacon3.jpg
Boy, oh boy, CF, so do I! This looks beautiful! I wish I had the capability to make things like this - a smoker, for one thing.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That photo is literally making my mouth water, CF!

I'd throw it on a rack and smoke it using cherry wood for flavor!

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
And totally unrelated, Has anyone ever smoked a steak?

Usually a steak is fast cook. I like to cook steaks over oak coals so it ends.up with a slight smoke flavor.

You can smoke a.nice chuck roast. Comes out similar to a.brisket but takes less time. I inject,rub and smoke like brisket

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

chilefarmer

OK - What cut of meat do you buy to smoke for Bacon?

Pork belly, or back bacon. Most markets in my area have to special order them. It is raw, just fresh bacon. Then you cure, smoke and slice.
Try it, it will be the best you have ever eaten and not hard to do. I like the dry cure better than the wet cure. CF:smile:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK - Thank you. I will look up curing. We habe a pork store in town. I may luck out on the meat

chilefarmer

Andy here is my recipe for bacon. i hope you make some its a fun thing, and taste good to. I know you are gonna ask what is pink salt. So here is a link to tell you what it is. http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/spices/sltcur.html Pink Salt, some store stores carry Morton's curing salt to. I have never used it but lots of people do. CF
recipe:
Homemade Bacon

Ingredients:

One 5# pork belly, rind removed
¼ cup of salt
1 teaspoon pink salt
Flavor, ¾ cup of Honey, maple syrup or brown sugar.

Mix all flavor ingredients together.

Rub pork belly with your cure. Be sure and cover completely and rub in good.
Place pork in a large ziplock bag and place in refrigerator. Turn over every day for at least a week. Some liquid will form in the bag, this is good, do not pour off liquid.
At the end of the week, remove from bag, and rinse under cold running water (several times) Pat dry with paper towels. Place back in refrigerator in an open container so that it dries well . It should be tacky to touch. Coat with course ground black pepper.

Smoking Bacon.

Heat smoker to 150° Place bacon in smoker hang or place on grates. Add your smoking wood, your choice, I like pecan or hickory. Fruit woods are nice also. Smoke for color and flavor. When the color you like is reached, increase pit temp to 200°. When the internal temp of your bacon is 156° remove from smoker. We are not trying to cook the bacon, just trying to kill off any bugs.
Cool before slicing, I put mine back in the refrigerator.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Gotta tell you, I've been thinking about this all day. I've been trying to decide if it's possible for me to actually do this in bulk..... Because I think it would make an awesome sandwich component, not to mention center of the plate.:applause:

chilefarmer

Vera, this bacon will make one mean BLT. And when cooking it will not curl up. There is very little water in the bacon. Store bought bacon is wet cured. Injected with solution sliced and packaged.
yeah, its a little trouble, but worth it. CF:)

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK getting on it.

I went to the Pork Store yesterday. They were closed for a long time. I found out that the owner dies. The family has completely revamped the store. It is beautiful.

Anyway, I have a pork belly coming. I was surprised when he asked if I wanted it bone in or bone out. I had no idea that a belly had a bone. Strange.

Anyway here is a little humor to go with the subject.

Cured.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK - The 14# pork belly has come home.

I plan to start curing tonight.

When I was ordering it, the butcher kept talking about removing the bone. Having never seen a pork belly, I wondered what bone would be in a belly. When I picked it up last night, I found out. A whole bunch of rib bones.

Wish me luck.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Chile Farmer said:
I know you are gonna ask what is pink salt.

Lucked out on this one - DW is a soaper and we have a bunch of Himalayan pink salt.

Gonna be mixing like crazy. I see the recipe calls for 5# and mine is 14#. I do expect to loose a lot of weight when I take the rind off.

Anyone for fried pork rind?

chilefarmer

Adillo, after trimming cut you pork belly into portions that will fit your bags. I would think maybe 3# each. This will make them easy to manage. You may even want to freeze some and do them later. Use curing salt not just any pink salt. That is a fine piece of meat. I can never get those here. CF:)

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I found curing salt 3 blocks away here in NYC. Great cooking store too.

It is indeed a great piece of meat. The local pork store (I live in Haledon, NJ) was on the main street for years and suddenly closed. It was out a year or so. I just saw it open last week. The butcher if from Turkey (go figure). He is a really nice person. We swapped food stories for about an hour. I went away with home made brats, homemade liverwurst, homemade veal loaf (Never heard of that before), In store roasted turkey breast, and homemade tabbouleh. All was great.

I have lucked out on meat lately. For Christmas, I got a USDA prime standing rib roast 10# and hit a 40% off sale to boot. Slow cooked that puppy 200 degrees 5 1/2 hours. Uniformly done throughout.

cgaengineer

Lucked out on this one - DW is a soaper and we have a bunch of Himalayan pink salt.

Gonna be mixing like crazy. I see the recipe calls for 5# and mine is 14#. I do expect to loose a lot of weight when I take the rind off.

Anyone for fried pork rind?

Himalayan pink salt and "pink salt" for curing are not the same, I sure hope you didnt use it as a substitute.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2