Special pan for cooking Asparagus?

waybomb

Is there a special pan used to cook Asparagus in? Wife heard something about a pan with raised ridges in the bottom used solely for Asparagus.

If so, what is it, and what is the proper method for cooking in that pot.

Thanks

Lefty

Yank
IMHO, you can use any pan you like. I use a steamer basket with mine, or cast iron to saute in evoo. I have even put them on the grill. Some folks like to have an ice bath in the sink to stop the cooking when boiling asparagus.

chowhound

I've just seen those steamers where the asparagus stands up in. I haven't heard of a pan with ridges made for asparagus. If you find a link to one, please post it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with Lefty on this one though All-Clad makes a special steamer it is much to pricey for my tastes. I have even steamed it with bamboo steamer on my wok, stainless steamer in a sauce pan, or even boiled though my personal preference is steamed for asparagus. I have also par boiled some that felt tougher than normal before steaming followed by an ice bath for that. Lately it hasn't been necessary as we have been getting great asparagus. I also take a single stalk and bend it till it breaks then cut the rest at that length saving they cut portions for soap stock.

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I use a steamer basket that opens flat in a large fying pan with a lid to steam my asparagus. It works like a champ!

PanchoHambre

are you talking about these
41YEADP9DXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

does not really match your description but the only asparagus specific cookware I know if they always seemed extraneous to me I dont really like one trick cookware

High Cheese

Saucier

does not really match your description but the only asparagus specific cookware I know if they always seemed extraneous to me I dont really like one trick cookware

It could double as a barbers comb holder. You know that thing with the blue water in it?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Is there a special pan used to cook Asparagus in? Wife heard something about a pan with raised ridges in the bottom used solely for Asparagus.

If so, what is it, and what is the proper method for cooking in that pot.

Thanks

I know what you’re talking about! I actually saw one once....but can’t remember what store I was in. And for the life of me, I have no idea what it was called, so Google isn’t helping right now.

But, it was basically a small grill pan. You could use any oven safe grill pan for roasting asparagus. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-16-Inch-Cast-Iron-Griddle/dp/B00008GKDQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1234817080&sr=1-6"]Here is one that should work well[/ame]. Or get one with a handle so that it is easier to manage.

Last edited:

waybomb

We have that type of attachment for the cooktop. I'll tell her so she can experiment.

She heard something on the tube about this.

FryBoy

I cook asparagus at least once a week, two or three times a week when it's in peak season and thus relatively cheap.

I have one of the special cookers pictured. Looks nice, but what a PITA! Hard to get the cooked asparagus out without damaging it, especially the tips. I concluded it's a silly affectation designed primarily to separate unwary cooks from their hard-earned cash, and it now sits on a shelf upstairs.

I much prefer a regular steamer in which the spears lie flat. Much easier to get them out, and they cook more evenly, IMHO, although it limits the length of the spears.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've seen a type of basket...you lay the asparagus in it, place it into a small amount of boiling water and steam the asparagus. Sure, it helps it hold it's shape, but, proper cooking can do that without the added expense of the basket.

And....grilled or oven roasted asparagus only requires the pan...:wink: