red potatoes for french fries?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have never tried making french fries with red potatoes, but they make the very best skin-on pan fried potatoes.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I have and did them the same as regular Idaho potatoes. I also made French fries with sweet potatoes which are really good. I have also made potato chips out of them including Yukon Golds or baby potatoes which I still prefer roasted. Little difference really except for taste as far as making them.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I use any potatoes to hand. They should work ok. Do you know which reds they are? If they normally cook to firm, ie good salad potatoes - will make OK fries but not brilliant. If they cook fluffy (good baking potatoes) they will make really good fries.

homecook

Since you've probably made them already.......that's all I ever use. FWIW

I use red potatoes for everything even baked. I very seldom buy anything else.

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
From what I've just researched, it's saying to cut thick for fries, and fry them with the skins on, thus having a smoother texture on the inside.

I sliced them thin (round like you do old fashioned pan fried) Q, and they were really good.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
also earns you a crispier outside if you soak your cut fries in cold water for about 15 minutes before frying (Dry the fries somewhat before you drop them in the oil).

Thr Russet is supposed to be the best for fries, but I've always used whatever was in the pantry.
I've got a "Hillbilly Fries" recipe on the site somewhere, where I use Turnips.