Questions about Irish Whiskey

PigStand

I have a friend who is going to turn 60 in a couple of weeks and I want to give him a special birthday gift. His ancestors are from Ireland but he has never had Irish whiskey, as far as I know neither have I. I have read that it taste more like bourbon than scotch ... neither one of us likes scotch but we both like bourbon.

Does it taste anything like scotch?

Any suggestions for something affordable? Can I buy it in a pint? About how much would it cost?

FryBoy

Irish whiskey lacks the pettiness and smokiness of Scotch, so in that regard I find it to be a bit more like Bourbon. I generally prefer Scotch to either. Wikipedia has a good article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_whiskey

As with Scotch or Bourbon, the first question is how much money ya got to spend?

Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
are they protestants or catholics?

bushmills for the prods, jameson for the righteous. :alc:

whiskey is more like bourbon as it is bolder and less complex, but there are brands of irish whiskey that have the smokiness. one that comes to mind is connemara, which is "peated".

you could get a bottle of bushmills black for around $30, a bottle of connemara cask strength for around $60, and if you want to go all out, get a bottle of jameson rarest vintage reserve for around $250.

PigStand

Anything that's good in the $10-$20 a pint range? I figure Carl can slip a pint into his room but a 5th would be too obvious.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
are they protestants or catholics?

bushmills for the prods, jameson for the righteous. :alc:

whiskey is more like bourbon as it is bolder and less complex, but there are brands of irish whiskey that have the smokiness. one that comes to mind is connemara, which is "peated".

you could get a bottle of bushmills black for around $30, a bottle of connemara cask strength for around $60, and if you want to go all out, get a bottle of jameson rarest vintage reserve for around $250.

BT - you're just a nut, and a well informed and educated nut. You never cease to amaze me. Keep it up!

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks keltin, much appreciated.

it's in me blood, ya know. my irish half is from counties mayo, leitrim, and cavan.

i've visited the area, and could happily spend my life fishin' for trout, raising spuds, and drying my own dulce. and if you believe the adverts, they bottle it with the "creature". :wink:

PigStand

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm on a fixed income that kind of limits how much I can spend - even for a friend. Carl lives with his daughter and her husband and three kids - they are baptist or mormon or something ... she doesn't allow alcohol in the house. That's why I thought about getting him a pint - something I could afford and a size he could sneak into the house and hide under his mattress.

buckytom

Grill Master
ah, i see pigstand. a pocket nipper, as it were.

you could probably get a small bottle of jameson, or even better, tullamore dew, for around $15 to $20.

Rusty Shackleford

Formerly known as 1 bourbon 1 scotch & 1 beer
need jameson. doubt you'll find a 10-20$ bottle that will taste anything like irish whiskey. the cheap taste often flows over the actual taste of the drink, so in that mind, i would spend more than 20 if possible. kilbeggan is good, tho i dont know how much that runs. let us know what ya get!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thanks everyone for the information. I'm on a fixed income that kind of limits how much I can spend - even for a friend. Carl lives with his daughter and her husband and three kids - they are baptist or mormon or something ... she doesn't allow alcohol in the house. That's why I thought about getting him a pint - something I could afford and a size he could sneak into the house and hide under his mattress.
You really are a good friend, PigStand.

smoke king

Banned
Anything that's good in the $10-$20 a pint range? I figure Carl can slip a pint into his room but a 5th would be too obvious.

I hate to state the obvious, but if you could get your hands on an empty Jamesons RV bottle, refill it with Kesslers, and pocket the difference. Since he's never had it before, he'll never know the difference.

If I'm being out of line, I get a pass because I'm a mental patient!!:yum:

Jeff G.

I have a friend who is going to turn 60 in a couple of weeks and I want to give him a special birthday gift. His ancestors are from Ireland but he has never had Irish whiskey, as far as I know neither have I. I have read that it taste more like bourbon than scotch ... neither one of us likes scotch but we both like bourbon.

Does it taste anything like scotch?

Any suggestions for something affordable? Can I buy it in a pint? About how much would it cost?

A very tasty one is very affordable.
Tullamore dew. It is very smooth, great flavor.