Preserved lemons

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I made these a few years ago just using salt and we liked the dishes we used them in, they give a nice lemony punch, but this time I used the recipe from Serious Eats, https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/how-to-make-preserved-lemons.html , that also uses a little bit of sugar. From what I remember from the taste of the first batch, I like the added sugar because it cuts some of the bitterness. I halved the Serious Eats recipe because they are easy to do and we just don't use them enough to make a full recipe. I also made some modifications on the technique.

4 to 5 whole lemons, organic preferably but well washed regardless
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/8 cup sugar

Mix the salt and sugar together in a bowl. Trim 1/4 inch or so off the ends of the lemons, then slice into quarters lengthwise but don't cut all the way through one end. Gently separate the quarters and pack the lemons with the salt/sugar mixture, being careful and trying to keep the lemon intact. Pack the lemons into a glass jar, pour in the remaining salt/sugar mixture, seal and refrigerate. The next day, there should be a good bit of liquid in the jar. Push the lemons down into the liquid if not covering. If it still doesn't cover, over the next couple of days, rearrange the lemons some until they release enough liquid to cover. I also turn the jar over several times because more than likely the salt/sugar will not have entirely dissolved for a couple of days. Let set in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 weeks before using.

I used a small squarish apothecary jar with a silicone ring seal that I got at Hobby Lobby. The lemons I used were the huge ones and it would have held 4 of them comfortably, but I had done 5 so I had to leave it unsealed the first day and cover with plastic wrap, but then they softened enough by the next day that I could push the fifth one down into the jar and into the liquid.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Karen.

How long do they last in the fridge?

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Serious Eats says 3 months. I've never kept them that long because I make small batches but with all that salt I have no doubt about the 3 months

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thank you for posting the recipe Karen.
So this is the halved recipe with your changes/modifications?