3 cloves garlic, minced
½ c chicken broth
½ c mushroom soaking liquid
1/3 c balsamic vinegar
1 t thyme
1 t salt
½ t white pepper
1 c heavy cream

Soak the mushrooms in the hot water for 30 minutes. Remove the mushrooms, blot dry, and chop coarsely. Strain the mushroom soaking liquid and set aside for later.

Fry the bacon in a Dutch oven until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside. Add 1T olive oil to the bacon drippings and brown the pork over high heat. Add the pork and juices to the bacon.

Reduce heat, add 2T olive oil, and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the next 6 ingredients (broth, mushroom soaking liquid, vinegar, thyme, salt, pepper) and the reserved bacon/pork.

Simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Reduce heat and add the cream.

Notes:
I found the original recipe at FoodDownUnder.com. That site is currently under construction and has been for quite a while.
The original recipe calls for boneless, fairly lean pork, and I have always used pork tenderloin. It also calls for half-and-half, but I sub heavy cream. Lastly, the original recipe says to simmer for 1 hour and 45 minutes which I found to be way too long when using pork tenderloin.
I like it over egg noodles.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
:ohmy: This sounds wonderful Cooksie! I just bought thick cut pork chops at the store today to grill tomorrow...now I'm wishing i had bought a pork tenderloin.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks, Mama! It is pretty good. I've probably made it 4 or 5 times.

:bbq:Nothing better than grilled pork chops though!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have everything but the cream!!!! Well, I have a 2 lb chunk of pork LOIN in the freezer.

Copied and printed out, to make in the very near future.

Thanks, Cooksie!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, it only took 9 years, but I made this tonight, as I had all of the ingredients!

It was really good, Cooksie! Great melding of flavors. (I simmered only 40 minutes.)

Lee

Pork and mushrooms 1.JPG

Pork and mushrooms.JPG

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Had a pork tenderloin to do something with and this recipe popped up in my files. It is delicious, but I didn't put enough of my dried mushrooms in - they got lost in all the other rich flavors.

This time, I sprinkled the crispy bacon on top - way better that way.

Thank you, dear Cooksie, wherever you are!

Lee

pork ragout.jpeg