Mushroom Pierogi

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My father requested these. I think my Polish aunts may have made a couple once, but I've never done it.

I had a mixture of dried wild mushrooms that I've picked myself and some I bought. Rehydrated 2 oz. of mushrooms, drained and finely chopped. Mixed with an onion, finely diced and caramelized in butter. Formed 9 balls.

Made the dough (flour, butter, water, salt), rolled it out, cut out circles, and rolled each circle more (too thin!).

Filled the circles with the mushroom/onion balls and pinched them shut. Boiled for 5 minutes, drained and froze 6 of them - 3 of them burst because I rolled the circles of dough too thinly.

We'll see how he likes them on Christmas Eve. Although I adore dried wild mushrooms, I prefer the cheese pierogi and kraut pierogi (both of which I bought this year).

Lee

Mushrooms 1, Chopped.JPG

Mushrooms 2, balls.JPG

Mushrooms 3, boiled.JPG

Mushrooms 4, draining.JPG

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For Christmas Eve, I heated up some mushroom, some cheese, and some cabbage pierogi in butter. Topped with diced fried out salt pork.

Served with golumpki (stuffed cabbage rolls) and dried wild mushroom borscht. I think next year, I will make all of them myself, not just the mushroom ones. Homemade is much better!

Lee
Pierogis.JPG