Moroccan Meatballs Tangine with Olives and Lemon (Milk St.)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
These were OMG great! A keeper!

I omitted the cinnamon, but otherwise made as written.

I cooked the whole pan of meatballs in sauce in advance, then reheated 4 meatballs for me, cooked one egg in them and could only eat 3. Delicious!

I would have loved naan with this, but I served it with pan fried eggplant and broccoli.

Lee

Moroccan Meatballs Tangine with Olives and Lemon (Milk St.)

1/3 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, roughly chopped

2 tablespoons grated lemon zest

1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes

4 tablespoons (½ stick) salted butter

1 large yellow onion, finely chopped

Kosher salt and ground black pepper

10 medium garlic cloves, minced

2 tablespoons ground cumin

1 tablespoon ground coriander

1 teaspoon cinnamon (I omitted)

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 cup low-sodium beef broth

1/2 cup panko

1 pound 90 percent lean ground beef

1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided

2 large eggs, cracked into a small bowl

In a small bowl, stir together the olives and lemon zest; set aside. In a blender, puree the tomatoes with their juice until smooth, about 30 seconds. Set aside. In a 12-inch skillet over medium, melt the butter. Add the onion and ½ teaspoon salt.

Return the sauce to medium and bring to a simmer. Add the meatballs in a single layer, then spoon sauce over each. Cover, reduce to low and cook for 15 minutes. Flip each meatball, then continue to cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened and meatballs are cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Return the sauce to medium and bring to a simmer. Add the meatballs in a single layer, then spoon sauce over each. Cover, reduce to low and cook for 15 minutes. Flip each meatball, then continue to cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened and meatballs are cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Push the meatballs to the sides of the skillet. Taste and season the sauce with salt and pepper. Gently pour the eggs into the center, cover and cook over medium-low until the egg whites are barely set and yolks are still runny, 4 to 5 minutes. Off heat, sprinkle the olive mixture and remaining ½ cup cilantro over the tagine.

single serving meatballs.JPG

meatballs plated.JPG