Lodge enamel Dutch ovens

Mr. Green Jeans

Has anyone purchased one? They are about 1/2 the price of Le Cruset or would I be better off saving my pennies and get the real deal?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I own a Le Creuset and a Staub. I have used a Lodge and Tramontina which are both excellent. I got a couple of Tramontina and Lodges as gifts for a couple of my kids families using them when visiting. I find they as good as the Le Creuset for a much cheaper price.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I own a Le Creuset and a Staub. I have used a Lodge and Tramontina which are both excellent. I got a couple of Tramontina and Lodges as gifts for a couple of my kids families using them when visiting. I find they as good as the Le Creuset for a much cheaper price.

I was looking at those Friday at Target. I think the size that I wanted was around $50, and it was red. I may just go back and get it now!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Which the Lodge or Tramontina which I think they an Walmart both sell?

phreak

I was just at Ross(a discount store if you don't have them where you live), and was looking at some Le Creuset cookware. I don't see how a pot can possibly be worth that kind of money. Seriously, do they come with a lifetime guarantee or something??? Once when I was seasoning a cast iron dutch oven I dropped it on our terrazzo floor and it cracked almost in 1/2, it almost made me sick. I can not imagine how I would feel if I dropped an almost $200 pot and had it break.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have the Rachael Ray Eameled Oval Dutch Oven in blue. It costs about 1/2 the price of LeCreuset. But I think that LeCreust is heavier.

All of the Lodge cookware I have is pre-seasoned cast iron.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I was just at Ross(a discount store if you don't have them where you live), and was looking at some Le Creuset cookware. I don't see how a pot can possibly be worth that kind of money. Seriously, do they come with a lifetime guarantee or something??? Once when I was seasoning a cast iron dutch oven I dropped it on our terrazzo floor and it cracked almost in 1/2, it almost made me sick. I can not imagine how I would feel if I dropped an almost $200 pot and had it break.
LOL! I'm with you, phreak. (Although maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm not a great cook.) I have a couple of pieces of La Creuset that I got at a yard sale and Goodwill. I had to give them a good cleaning, but for $15, they were a great buy because La Creuset is exceptional!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I think if you check Rachael Ray's, Emeril's, Mario Batali's enameled cast iron or plan cast iron lines are all probably made by Lodge or Tramontina both of which are rated higher in value for price by Consumer Report as well as other than LeCreuset. I have a 5.5 qt by Staub from HSN.com that is also excellent but not a lot of sizes available.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
LOL! I'm with you, phreak. (Although maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm not a great cook.) I have a couple of pieces of La Creuset that I got at a yard sale and Goodwill. I had to give them a good cleaning, but for $15, they were a great buy because La Creuset is exceptional!

I have a couple also FM that I got when my grand mother moved in with us years ago. If I came across any at a yard sale of even one of our actions I would buy it but never have seen any. I've haven't even seen them at good will and we give a lot of stuff to them.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You have 1 more than I do though I do have a Lodge, Tramontina and Staub.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I think if you check Rachael Ray's, Emeril's, Mario Batali's enameled cast iron or plan cast iron lines are all probably made by Lodge or Tramontina both of which are rated higher in value for price by Consumer Report as well as other than LeCreuset. I have a 5.5 qt by Staub from HSN.com that is also excellent but not a lot of sizes available.

Wouldn't doubt it. :clap: