Just hafta holiday traditions

Mr. Green Jeans

It is expected at the MGJ compound that pre Thanksgiving a vat of chex mix (spicy version with hot sauce) will be available for holiday snacking.

What's expected at your home?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
when i am home.. i am required to make homemade cranberry sauce and UGH pumpkin pie.i cant stand the taste of it but apparently i make it like my great grandmother did and somehow figured out her recipe..lol

i use to like it as i child but when my G-grandmother passed, i cant stomach it now. everybody else likes it.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
In our family it's celery sticks with cream cheese filling and plenty of black olives so the kids can put them on each finger and eat them one at a time. At the end of the day, the turkey carcass is cooked down to become turkey soup for the following weekend to go with the turkey sandwiches.

mhend

My potato salad, my mothers chicken and dressing and my aunts giblet gravy. All 3 are requirements every Thanksgiving. :)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
DW's cornbread dressing and my green bean casserole. Oh, and I have to make a Chess Pie as well.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
In addition to the turkey and cornbread dressing, one hafta is a relish tray with green and black olives, pickled beets, pickled okra, baby gherkins, cranberry sauce (from the can :clap:), some kind of cherry pepper or pepperoncinis, and always, always.....deviled eggs.

lilbopeep

🌹 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Are we talking ANY Holiday or Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving - my eggless stuffing/dressing & tangerine/cranberry relish.

Holidays in general - stuffed mushrooms

New Year's - my blue cheese dip, olive salad, onion dip

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Mashed turnip. - It's actually rutabaga, but my grandmother always called it turnip.

Brussels sprouts.

Then the regular stuff: turkey, stuffing, mash, cranberries, pie.

and plenty of black olives so the kids can put them on each finger and eat them one at a time.

JoeV, We did that, too, at Grandma's house. I hadn't thought of it in years! She always put out huge dishes of black olives for us.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What IS it about the Thanksgiving "relish dish" with celery and green and black olives? My family always has that, too.

Where'd that come from???

Lee

In addition to the turkey and cornbread dressing, one hafta is a relish tray with green and black olives, pickled beets, pickled okra, baby gherkins, cranberry sauce (from the can :clap:), some kind of cherry pepper or pepperoncinis, and always, always.....deviled eggs.

:biggrin:
854b.gif
:agree:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Heres a quick little story that may give you a chuckle. Last Thanksgiving I opened a can of cranberry sauce. Slid it out into the nice antique carnival glass dish from my hubs grandma. I sliced it in between the ridges. But it didn't seperate so it looked like it was still whole and usliced. My one girl was watching me. The second girl was out of the room. When she came back into the room she saw me throw the empty can away. She put the little butter knife/serving knife in the dish along the side and that made the slices seperate. She exclamed "WOW it comes pre sliced now!!". My other girl looked at me and we both broke out laughing.

We thought it was funny. But reading it here it doesn't seem that amusing. I guess you had to be here and see the look on her face.

ddf04737.gif

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Our thanksgiving menu hasn't changed in at least 30 years, so pretty much, just about everything is expected! The first course has to be antipasto. The stuffing has to be made with sausage. I have to make the lemon creme mold. If I don't make 50 pounds of mashed potatoes there will be a mutiny. Apple pie and pumpkin pie must be served.

Funny, though....I want all those things, too!! So, while it's expected by others, it's expected (and desired!) by me, too!!

Mr. Green Jeans

What goes into your sausage stuffing (or is it dressing)? The MGJ family recipe has onion, celery and tart apple which is sauteed in white wine & butter (my wrinkle) and zante currants. Since moving west, my big dilemma is no Bob Evans sausage!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
What goes into your sausage stuffing (or is it dressing)? The MGJ family recipe has onion, celery and tart apple which is sauteed in white wine & butter (my wrinkle) and zante currants. Since moving west, my big dilemma is no Bob Evans sausage!

arent you 20-30 minutes from Portland?

after some searching, i believe Safeway & Fred Meyer carries Bob Evans. i have also seen it at a few other stores up in that area when i was working there this summer...

Jimmy Dean will do in a pinch though

Mr. Green Jeans

Bam, we are about 30 minutes from P'land. Newberg is where we mainly shop and there's a Freddies and a Safeway in town. They even carry some BE products in the frozen foods section but NO SAUSAGE! So yes, JD is subbing.

Mr. Green Jeans

Forgot to add but well in time for the football weekend and turkey day games; Chex mix. The original, not the store bought crap with real butter, premium mixed nuts and of course the hot sauce version. Newer recipes add Cheeseits to the recipe and that gets a MGJ thumb's up as well.

GotGarlic

It's stuffing if it's cooked inside the bird; it's dressing if it's cooked in a dish separate from the bird. We prefer stuffing without any meat in it - onions, carrots, celery, and lots of fresh sage and thyme. DH likes raisins, so we add that, too.

Pumpkin pie is a must, as are mashed potatoes and gravy. There will only be four of us this year, so for the veg, I'm doing roasted Brussels sprouts, carrots and onions.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
It's stuffing if it's cooked inside the bird; it's dressing if it's cooked in a dish separate from the bird. We prefer stuffing without any meat in it - onions, carrots, celery, and lots of fresh sage and thyme. DH likes raisins, so we add that, too.

Pumpkin pie is a must, as are mashed potatoes and gravy. There will only be four of us this year, so for the veg, I'm doing roasted Brussels sprouts, carrots and onions.
We also prefer stuffing without any meat in it. I put onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, walnuts and lots of fresh sage, rosemary and thyme. I don't use ANY eggs in my stuffing/dressing. I used to stuff my bird or put the dressing in a dish and bake. Inside takes longer to cook bird, outside get to dried out tasting. So now I just sauteed all the veggies, turn off the pot, add the broth, cover pot and place on back of stove where it stays warm from the oven. At the same time I thicken my gravy I turn on the stuffing pot to bring to bowl then turn it off add the cubes stir well and serve.