I want to buy a Shrimp Cookbook !

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
We eat shrimp pretty often and I didn't grow up eating any fish so it's a whole new world for me. I have a few free online recipes, but being that I see such cookbooks online used for 75 cents, I think it makes sense to buy a book ...

Any recommendations ? Thanks.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
No one yet, huh?

Well, I don't want the Bubba Shrimp one. I went to Barnes and Noble today and that was all they had, and it was too Hollywood for me.

The others online for a penny and seventy five cents, are:

Simply Shrimp, 101 Recipes
Ultimate Shrimp
Shrimp Lover's Cookbook

joec

Gold Site Supporter
There are a few recipes for shrimp I've posted here under sea food forum. But here are a few I've made and loved.

Coconut Shrimp

Peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 large egg beaten
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cups flaked coconut (Option you can mix 1/2 cup of coconut with 1/2 cup of panko)
1 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled with tails on

Heat oil in a large deep skillet, or heavy pot or deep fryer to 350 degrees F.
Dredge the shrimp with the cornstarch then the egg mixture and shake off any excess. Press the shrimp into the coconut flakes; turn shrimp over and press into coconut again to coat both sides.
Deep-fry the shrimp in batches until the coconut is golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp to paper towels to drain.

Orange Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1 to 2 tablespoons dark rum
1 lime, juiced

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and use for dipping.

Spicy Grilled Shrimp Recipe courtesy Executive Chef John Doherty of The Waldorf Astoria

8 extra-large shrimp, peeled
Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 15 to 30 minutes
Marinade:
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 shallot, sliced thin
Spice Rub:
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons mustard powder
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dry thyme
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano

Combine the ingredients for the marinade. Add the shrimp, cover, and chill for approximately 3 hours.
Meanwhile, combine the spice rub ingredients and set aside.
To cook: Remove the shrimp from the marinade, skewer onto bamboo skewers, and season with a pinch of the spice rub. Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat and grill the shrimp for 2 1/2 minutes on each side.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 8 servings

Grilled Shrimp with Truffle Oil Vinaigrette
16 large shrimp, uncooked
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup white truffle oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped sweet onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat barbecue grill (oil hot grill to help prevent sticking).
Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving tails on. Using a sharp knife, butterfly shrimp by cutting along the inner curve or underbelly about halfway (almost completely through), leaving the tails firmly attached. Press the shrimp down flat like a butterfly. Place prepared shrimp in a shallow dish and sprinkle with olive oil; refrigerate, covered, until ready to cook.
In a medium bowl, combine white truffle oil, lemon juice, onion, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
When ready to cook, season the shrimp lightly with salt and pepper. Place shrimp onto hot grill and cook approximately 2 minutes on one side; turn and cook another 1 minute or until shrimp are opaque in center (cut to test). Remove from grill.
To serve, arrange shrimp (split sides up) on a serving plate. Drizzle with a little of the vinaigrette. Place remaining vinaigrette in a small bowl and place on plate for dipping.
Makes 4 servings.
Coconut Beer Shrimp
50 medium- size shrimp (about 2 pounds), peeled and deveined (leave on tails)
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons garlic powder
1 3/4 teaspoons onion powder
1 3/4 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
1 3/4 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 12- ounce bottle beer
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut (about 6 ounces)
oil for deep frying
lettuce leaves, for garnish
Hot red pepper sauce, for garnish
Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce:
1 5oz. bottle honey mustard (1/2 cup)
3/4 cup of honey
1 teaspoon of cornstarch (optional)
Mix honey mustard and honey together well. Sift in cornstarch gradually while stirring sauce.
DIRECTIONS: Thoroughly combine the paprika, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. In a large bowl, combine the beer, flour, and baking soda and mix well with a wire whisk. The batter should have the consistency of pancake batter. Stir in the spice mixture, using a wire whisk. Spread the coconut out on a plate. Dip each shrimp into the batter, shake off any excess, then roll in the coconut to cover. Press the shrimp in the palm of your hand to make the coconut flakes stick. In a deep fryer or large saucepan, heat the oil to 350 F. Drop the shrimp, 6 at a time, into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 1 minute. Drain on paper towels and serve on a bed of fresh lettuce. Top with hot red pepper sauce if you like.

Different Shrimp Cocktail
Ingredients
12 Jumbo prawns, cooked
6 Tbsp mayonnaise
5 Tbsp Tomato sauce
2 Tsps Worcestershire Sauce, add more if you like it hot
1 Tsp Horseradish sauce
½ Tsp Tabasco sauce
Squeeze of lemon juice
1 Tsp Cayenne pepper
Freshly ground black pepper
Method
Mix all the ingredients together (except the prawns) in a large bowl and allow to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Stir in the prawns and pour over mixed salad of your choice. Sprinkle cayenne pepper over the top and add a wedge of lemon.
Serves 2
Prep Time 10 mins
Emeril's Grilled Citrus And Herb Marinated Shrimp
Ingredients:
1 pounds U-10 shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh herbs such as, basil leaves. cilantro, parsley, tarragon,rosemary, and mint
Olive oil, for garnish
1 lime juiced, for garnish
Method:
Season the shrimp with 1 teaspoon of the kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. In a mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, juices, garlic, the chopped herbs and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Add the shrimp to the marinade. Refrigerate and allow the shrimp to marinate for up to 1 hour. Set a grill to medium-high and remove the shrimp from the marinade. Wipe off the excess marinade and place the shrimp on the grill pan. Cook the shrimp until they begin to curl and turn pink, about 2 minutes. Turn the shrimp over and cook on the second side, another 2 to 3 minutes, until just cooked through. To serve the shrimp, drizzle with olive oil and lime juice.
Yield: 6 servings as an appetizer
Emeril's Shrimp Salad
Ingredients:
1 can hearts of palm, drained and sliced
1 pound cooked tortellini, cooled
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 cup cooked peas
1/2 thinly sliced red onion
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 pound frozen shrimp, thawed
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
Method:
In a large bowl, combine ingredients and toss. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings
Emeril's Shrimp Ceviche
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds very fresh shrimp or white-fleshed ocean fish, such as Grouper, Wahoo, sea bass, or red snapper
2/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
1/4 cup finely diced yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
3 tablespoons minced red onion
2 tablespoons minced Serrano or jalapeno pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced ginger
4 large tomatillos, peeled, washed and cut in half, or 8 mini tomatillos, peeled and washed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons good quality extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
Lime wedges, for serving
Method:
Place the shrimp in a glass dish with the lime juice, orange juice, pineapple juice, bell peppers, onions, Serrano pepper, garlic and ginger, tossing to coat. Add in the tomatillos. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, until shrimp is "cooked" to the desired degree, stirring occasionally.
Add the cilantro, olive oil and salt. Fold gently to mix. Serve ceviche in martini glasses and garnish with lime wedges.
Yield: 4 appetizer portions

SCAMPI WITH GARLIC BUTTER
1 pound of jumbo shrimp (prawns), peeled & deveined
¼ cup butter
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
¼ cup finely chopped shallots or scallions
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup finely chopped parsley (preferably Italian flat-leaf parsley)
Lemon wedges for garnish
1. Rinse shrimp and pat them dry with paper towels. Place in flame-proof baking dish in one layer.
2. Melt butter in olive oil over low heat, remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, shallots or green onions, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour over shrimp, and turn shrimp over to coat all sides. Allow to marinate for 15 to 30 minutes.
3. Preheat broiler to highest setting. Adjust rack so that shrimp will be 4 to 6 inches from heat. Broil shrimp in butter sauce for about 3 to 4 minutes, then turn shrimp over and broil the other side for about 3 minutes; they will begin to brown and will feel firm when done.
4. Remove from broiler, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve shrimp and sauce garnished with lemon wedges.
Barbcue shrimp from Paul Prudhomme's cookbook
This dish has nothing to do with a barbecue pit or barbecuing. Why is it called "barbecued" shrimp? Beats the hell out of me. If you're really curious, ask someone at Pascal's Manale Restaurant on Napoleon Avenue in New Orleans; it's where the dish was created. Me, I don't care. This dish is so good you can call it whatever you want. Just, um, don't have it every day. You'll know why immediately when you see the first ingredient listed:
Ingredients
2 pounds butter (Yes, you read right. Two pounds. Eight sticks. Don't whine. DO NOT use margarine! Real butter only.)
2 tablespoons Creole seasoning, to taste; OR
2 - 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper and 3 - 4 teaspoons black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped rosemary leaves
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
6 ounces good beer (microbrewery is preferable to mainstream swill)
5 - 10 cloves garlic, finely minced (or as much as you like)
1 medium onion, very finely minced
3 ribs celery, very finely minced
3 - 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
4 pounds shrimp, heads and shells on
Melt a stick of the butter in a skillet. Saute the garlic, onions, celery, parsley, rosemary and seasoning blend for about 2 - 3 minutes.
Melt the rest of the butter. Add the beer (drink the rest of the bottle). Add the sauteed stuff, Worcestershire and lemon juice.
Drown the shrimp in the seasoned butter, using as many baking dishes as you need. Make sure the shrimp are more or less submerged. If they're not ... melt more butter and add to the sauce. (Aah, what the hell ... what's another stick or two when you're already up to these butterfat levels?) Bake in a 350 degree oven until the shrimp turn pink, about 15 minutes.
Serve in big bowls. Put in a handful of shrimp and ladle lots of the spicy butter sauce over it. Roll up your sleeves and wear a bib (DO NOT wear nice clothes when eating this!) Serve with plenty of French bread to sop up da sauce!
Try to avoid going to have your cholesterol and triglycerides taken for a few weeks afterward. Remember that this is a special treat. Don't eat this all the time if you want to live. But hey, every now and again ... LIVE!
Pour it over a bowl of rice and get ready to be in Heaven !!!
[This feeds 8-10 people, BTW ... cut it in half if you need to.]
LEMON BAKED COD
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. flour
1/8 tsp. white pepper
Paprika
1 lb. cod fillets (or any fish)
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
Cut fish fillets into serving pieces. Mix butter and lemon juice. In another bowl, mix flour, salt and pepper. Dip fish into butter mixture; coat fish with flour mixture. Place fish in ungreased square baking dish, 8 x 8 x 2 inches. Pour remaining butter mixture over fish. Sprinkle with paprika. Cook uncovered in 350 degree oven until fish flakes easily with fork, 25-30 minutes. Garnish with parsley sprigs and lemon slices if desired.
Shrimp Bisque with Shrimp Boulettes - Emeril Lagasse
Ingredients
Shrimp Stock:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup roughly chopped yellow onions
1/4 cup roughly chopped carrots
1/4 cup roughly chopped celery
1 large clove garlic, peeled and smashed
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, shells and heads reserved, meat used for bisque and boulettes
1/2 cup white wine
8 cups water
Shrimp Bisque:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup cognac or brandy
4 cups shrimp stock
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 pound shrimp reserved from shrimp stock recipe
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Shrimp Boulettes, recipe follows
Chopped chives, garnish
Directions
To make the stock, in a large heavy pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, salt, and peppercorns, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the shrimp shells and heads and cook, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil, cooking until almost all evaporated. Add the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, skimming to remove any foam that forms on the surface. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container, pressing on the shrimp shells to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the shells.
In a clean large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, salt, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste and cook until starting to brown, about 2 minutes.
Add the cognac and cook until almost evaporated. Add shrimp stock, tarragon and thyme and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender or in batches in a blender or food processor.
Return to the heat and add the shrimp, cream and lemon juice. Simmer gently until the shrimp are cooked through and the flavors marry, about 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
Ladle the soup into bowls and float 1 Shrimp Boulette in the center of each bowl. Garnish with chopped chives and serve immediately.
Shrimp Boulettes:
1/2 pound shrimp, reserved from shrimp stock recipe
1 cup cooked medium-grain white rice
1/4 cup chopped yellow onions
1 tablespoon chopped celery
1 tablespoon seeded and chopped green bell pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 teaspoons Creole or whole-grain mustard
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
1/2 cup dried fine white bread crumbs
3 teaspoons Essence, plus more for dusting, recipe follows
1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash
1/4 cup bleached all-purpose flour
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the shrimp, rice, onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, parsley, mustard, cheese, water, hot red pepper sauce, Worcestershire, salt, and cayenne. Process until the mixture is smooth but sticky, about 1 minute.
Divide the mixture into 8 equal balls. Heat 4 inches of oil in a large pot or electric fryer to 360 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon of Essence. In another bowl, combine the egg wash and 1 teaspoon of Essence. In a third bowl, combine the flour and 1 teaspoon Essence. Dredge each ball first in the flour mixture, then dip in the egg mixture, shaking to remove any excess. Dredge in the bread crumbs to coat evenly. Fry the balls in 2 batches until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels and season with Essence, to taste.
Prep Time: 50 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
8 servings

Or simply boil them for about a 2 minutes and serve as peal and eat with a cocktail sauce of your choice.

Here is a picture of what coconut shrimp look like when served them. These are jumbo tiger shimp by the way and the knife is a 240mm blade. 3 of these is about a pound but can be done with much smaller also.

shrimp1.jpg shrimp2.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not a huge fan of shrimp, but those coconut jobbers look incredible, Joe!

Lee

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
good Heavens! Who needs a cookbook when I have such incredible friends! I have enough recipes to last me, forever, I think !!!

thanks all !!!!

High Cheese

Saucier
I have a great, no brains needed, blackened shrimp pasta recipe.

Take some raw, peeled/deveined shrimp and HEAVILY season them with a mixture of cajun seasoning and olive oil. Grill on high. The oil will help blacken them.

Cook up whatever pasta you want. Then make a batch of Knorrs Parma Rosa sauce. Toss the pasta with the sauce, plate and top with some shrimp. You can add some chopped parsley if you want to get fancy.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a great, no brains needed, blackened shrimp pasta recipe.

Take some raw, peeled/deveined shrimp and HEAVILY season them with a mixture of cajun seasoning and olive oil. Grill on high. The oil will help blacken them.

Cook up whatever pasta you want. Then make a batch of Knorrs Parma Rosa sauce. Toss the pasta with the sauce, plate and top with some shrimp. You can add some chopped parsley if you want to get fancy.

I agree they are excellent and made them a few times myself but figured grilled, boiled and baked are pretty simple. Just for my information do you make your own cajun seasoning or buy a ready made and if ready made what brand?

High Cheese

Saucier
I agree they are excellent and made them a few times myself but figured grilled, boiled and baked are pretty simple. Just for my information do you make your own cajun seasoning or buy a ready made and if ready made what brand?

I think I used McCormick, black top, cajun blend. I dont like wasting a bunch ofraw spices si I buy ready made blends alot. Sometimes I make my own, but only if Im after a specific flavor.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I think I used McCormick, black top, cajun blend. I dont like wasting a bunch ofraw spices si I buy ready made blends alot. Sometimes I make my own, but only if Im after a specific flavor.

I'm also a fan of McCormick spice blends also and this is one I have bought before but used up. My last version of cajun blackening blend wasn't that good hence I asked. Thanks HC.